Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Final Cut Pro 7 compatible with Mavericks?

I own Final Cut Studio with Final Cut Pro 7. Software running on a MacBook Pro laptop, OSX 10.6.8. And also on a MacPro "desktop" machine, and it's the same version.

I am getting messages to upgrade to the latest Mavericks for free, and before I do that, I want to make sure that Final Cut Studio (Final Cut 7, DVD Studio Pro, Color etc), is not going to start causing me problems. I don't want ANY problems. I have no intention of switching to Final Cut X. Can someone tell me about compatibility?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), And MacPro running same version OSX

Posted on May 24, 2014 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

May 24, 2014 2:40 PM in response to RichardFinlay

FCP was abandoned by Apple years ago, and so you are really on your own if you do the upgrade and have problems. There appears to be no consensus opinion - there are reports it works, doesn't work, or in my case when I loaded FCP7 on a non-mission critical Mac running Mavericks, it was working but was quirky and felt borderline unstable.

The option of running a dual boot system should be looked at if you must upgrade to Mavericks.

MtD

May 24, 2014 4:18 PM in response to RichardFinlay

When Apple release FCP-X, they abandoned support for all previous versions announcing that previous versions are end of life.

FCP-X has nothing in common with FCP7 and earlier other than the name. It is a completely different application without built in support for projects done on earlier versions.

What this means is that as Apple moves forward with Operating Systems and hardware, those changes are made without any regard as to if those changes will disable or cripple FCP7.

RichardFinlay wrote:

It's still an Apple product, no?

It's still an Apple product but they do not support it, nor have any regard for how OS or hardware changes impact its performance.

MtD

Jul 10, 2014 2:15 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I bought a new MacBook Pro last year and installed Final Cut Pro 7 (actually Final Cut Studio 4). I upgraded system to Mavericks without getting enough information about potential problems. Now do have problems with FCP 7. So I'm working somehow, but I save my work very often and sometime need to take a step back, because project ceases to open.

Is Final Cut Pro 7 compatible with Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.