Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a magnet damage a MacBook?

My iPad has a case with a magnetic part on the side that allows it to connect the actual iPad. I placed my iPad on top of my 13'' MacBook Pro with Retina display. The magnetic part was touching the lid, but not directly since I have a shell on my MacBook. It was only for a few minutes before I realized that what I was doing. When I opened the MacBook there was a faint line across the screen where the magnet was touching the lid, but I scrolled my mouse over it and it dissapeared. I also restarted the MacBook to degauss the screen.

Everything seems to be working as normal, but could the magnet have corrupted my SSD or done some long-term damage to my screen?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 24, 2014 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2014 2:20 PM

MBPs have magnets built into them but they are not very strong. What you experienced will not be a problem.

However if you have a very strong magnet, then there could be issues.

Ciao.

5 replies

Jul 10, 2014 11:46 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

HI OGELTHORPE, since you seem knowledgable about magnets can I ask you please what magnet type would you recommend for a MacBook case? 🙂 I'm making my own for a new ssd laptop. The magnets will be attached to the exterior base (bottom) of the case in 4 corners and 1 in the middle. So the case will be in between the laptop and magnets. I need the exact specs for sourcing the correct ones.

Thank you!

Jul 10, 2014 1:09 PM in response to Egorka01

The MBP will presumably be stored in this case? I assume the magnets are to allow the case to be attached to a steel bulkhead of some type.

I make no claims of expertise in magnets as such, but it seems that the critical criteria requires that the custom case and the Mac, must be able to be securely held by 5 magnets. It becomes a matter of weight, orientation and any shock loads that will be encountered. I do know that all magnets are not created equal. I cannot offer anything more than search the Internet for options.

Ciao.

Can a magnet damage a MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.