Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What determines the camera roll image numbers?

When you add a picture to your camera roll, it's name should be IMG with a number next to it. So for example, if I start with an image it's called Img_0001, and then when I add another picture it's called Img_0002. I know that if I delete Img_0002 and take another picture, that the new picture will just skip ahead and be called IMG_0003.

However, when friends send photos from their camera roll to my Iphone, I notice that their Img count seems to be all over the place. A friend sent me 2 screenshots that were taken 5 minutes apart and one was Img_0342 while the other was Img_5455. That's a MASSIVE jump. And I know that one of my friends just recently got a phone and yet one of the selfies they sent me was Img_6234. I find it hard to believe they've already amassed 6000 pictures.

It's a minor thing really, but I'm just curious as to what causes this? Is there some kind of explanation? Do the numbers hold greater meaning? Is it random? I like to keep my photos organized and I could imagine something like this causing an issue if it ever affects me.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 24, 2014 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2014 8:27 PM

Click on the Contact Us link at the bottom right of this screen and write a letter to Apple HQ and ask them.

1 reply

What determines the camera roll image numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.