Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Discoloration and Lines Through Photos iOS 7.1.1

I own an iPhone 5S, iPad 3 and an IPhone 5. Ever since upgrading to iOS 7, whenever I share photos via email they become discolored or have skinny horizontal lines of pixels running through them. It happens with any of my devices regardless of the email account in use.

Also worth noting, is that the pictures I take are fine, so it's not the camera. If I share a screenshot l, for example, that's in an album the same thing occurs.

Again, this happens on all three of my devices. Very frustrating.

So I asked around and it turns out my relatives have the same problem. They both have iPad 2's running iOS 7.1.1. They are light users ( practically no apps) and very little data, so unlikely that something third party.

I wish I could attach a sample here. Photo streams and other sharing methods do not distort or discolor the photos.

The iPhone 5 and iPad 3 were upgraded from iOS 6 a couple months ago. The issue started then for those two devices. My iPhone 5S has had the issue for at least a few months.

Hoping others out there experiencing and that Apple fixes soon. Incredible the number of bugs in iOS 7 for how well Apple does and how mature a company they are. Big fan, but this last year and iOS 7 has me scratching my head and eying alternatives (something I've never really considered).

Any input would be awesome! Hope I'm not alone! Though, I don't see how I could be considering that I didn't have to look very far to find more people ( relatives) with the issue.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 25, 2014 5:47 AM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2014 6:37 PM in response to Jgantes

Hi Jgantes -

I had the same problem on both my Ipad Air and Iphone 5s.

I discovered that if I SAVE the photo instead of downloading the photo, the lines do not appear.

If you have already opened the photo and see the lines, scroll to under the image where you will find the message "This message was downloaded as plain text" and click on the "Download full message" link.

The photo then reloads without the lines.

Hope this helps.

Jun 17, 2014 6:40 PM in response to nhowatt

Thanks for the reply NHOWATT. Unfortunately, this happens when I SEND messages taken on my phone to any recipient. For example, the lines appear on Windows. There must be something wrong with the compression algorithm when it resizes photos. Appears sending the full file sizes from any device works ok. Still very frustrating.

Jul 13, 2014 1:46 PM in response to Jgantes

Also have this problem on an iPad 3 and 2 x iPhone 4's whilst running iOS 7.1.1 and since upgrading to 7.1.2

We're e-mailing photos using the iOS Mail app with GMail accounts and noticing that images are usually corrupted with grey horizontal bars for landscape photos, and grey vertical bars for portrait photos. It's like they've failed part way through a progressive scan. Also seeing blocky discolouration and distortion.

The Gmail recipient on a different iPad/iPhone will get a corrupted image, and the sender will see corruption when looking at the photo within the e-mail in 'Sent Messages'.

The photos are old and new, originally taken from the iPad/iPhone and seem fine when viewing the original from the iPad/iPhone.

Discoloration and Lines Through Photos iOS 7.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.