Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown error (1)

Hi, I tried to update the firmware on my wifes ipod - it didn't work and the ipod went into recovery mode (I think) it has a picture of connector cable and itunes symbol. When I tried to restore, it extracts files ok but won't restore with unknown error (1) I can't use it any more. I have tried pressing power button and home button and plugging in cable in loads of combinations but can only get the connect to itunes screen. I did it with no antivirus and I have downloaded the latest version of itunes. Is there anything I can do. Thanks for any help.

iPod touch

Posted on May 25, 2014 5:20 AM

10 replies

May 27, 2014 10:54 AM in response to sarge57

Hello, sarge57.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I see you have tried some troubleshooting steps already with the issue persisting. There are just a couple more that I could recommend in the attached section below.

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

Try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good. Also, confirm your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Error 1015 might happen after making unauthorized modifications to iOS, also called "jailbreaking."

Resolve specific iTunes update and restore errors

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3694

Cheers,

Jason H.

Jun 1, 2014 3:15 AM in response to jason269

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply,

your advice seems sensible but :-

How do I check for hardware problems - especially if I can't get the device to switch on ???

(also a hardware fault would be incredibly conicidental - it seems impossible that the device would work fine for 6 or 7 years and then develop a hardware fault within seconds of me trying to update the operating system).

Also how do I check security software compatibility ?? I looked at the instructions but they seemed bewildering, all I could do was unistall my security software but it made no difference.

I don't get error 1015, I just get unknown error (1). I don't know what jailbreak is, this device was used by my wife until she got an ipad a couple of months ago, she has never done anything to it except add music to it. I started to use it and when looking on the internet for how to use it I saw a comment which said I should update the iOS. I went to this site http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and tried to update for the relevant iOS (1.1.5) and everything got stuck after that.

thanks again,

Lee Sargent

Jun 1, 2014 3:40 AM in response to sarge57

ERROR (1)

- Place the iPod in DFU mode and then restore

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- Try on another computer

- Try another cable

- Also, confirm your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

The instructions that jason gave idid check for hard ware erros by elimination., If the actions do not solve the problem then you have a hardware problem.

This, same as jason provided, says how to check for security software

security software and settings

Jun 7, 2014 4:07 AM in response to lllaass

Hi Illaass,

thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry but I fail at the very first step. I have tried to restore it via itunes at least 40 times, always the same result ~ after extracting the files it begins the restore but immediately fails with "unknown error (1)"

I looked at the video by Karthik on how to put into DFU mode.

The very first line of his instructions says to make sure the ipod is turned completely off.

I don't know any difference between "off" and "completely off"

I press the power button until everything goes black and I assume it is now off.

I connect to the pc and a symbol appears (even though I didn't switch it on ??) of the ipod connector with an arrow pointing to a blue music note on a cd ~ I believe this is the "connect to itunes symbol" and means the ipod is in recovery mode.

If I press the power off button for 3 seconds then simultaneously the home button for 10 seconds then just the home button for 20 seconds I end up with the same "connect to itunes symbol".

Itunes doesn't recognise the ipod as being in DFU mode it recognises it as being in recovery mode and it fails with the same error as before.

I have used 3 computers with the same result but I only have one cable which will fit the ipod so always the same cable.

am I doing something fundamentally wrong ??

Thanks again

Lee Sargent

Jun 7, 2014 8:39 AM in response to lllaass

theres no way its a hardware problem, we had the ipod for 7 years and it always worked fine until 2 seconds after I tried to update the firmware.

Also there are thousands of messages online from people with similar problems for ios 7 updates who are complaining that the only answer they can get out of Apple is "hardware problem"

Jun 9, 2014 12:13 AM in response to lllaass

I don't understand how trying and failing to update software can be hardware, but then again I don't understand what is going on very well at all.

So are you saying that I have ruined a £250 device by trying to update the os. ??

That there is nothing that can be done ????

If so why are sites recommending that people update there os ??

Jun 27, 2014 6:18 AM in response to sarge57

hope this is ok to add in the ipod forum as the error message is the same.

got the exact same issue, except with an ipad 2. had it working fine until trying to update to ios 7, now all attempts to restore it ends in an unknown error (1). tried steps above with no luck.

seems weird with a software update breaking the hardware.

Jul 9, 2014 8:57 PM in response to sarge57

I have the same exact problem after trying to update to the 7.1.2 update!!! This really *****! I tried all the same steps as you too. Nothing has worked. I'm going to see if I can let the battery die and then see if my iphone 5s will get itself out of recovery mode. The unknown error code (1) aka "we don't know what we did wrong" is so frustrating. I'm making a trip to GCI tomorrow and I'm going to have the suckers replace my phone. I'm so sad though because I'm pretty sure I lost all my pics! I never did any stupid crap like jailbreaking either. The whole problem started with their "brilliant" 7.1.2 update.

Unknown error (1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.