Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find out what year model my Mac Mini

I got a "message" dialog on screen from Apple telling me OSX Mavericks is available for free. The system requirements say my Mac Mini needs to be an "early 2009 or newer" model. I got my Mini at the Apple store in town in 2010, but for all I remember now (not much) it could have been an older model than 2009. How do I determine if my Mac Mini is a 2009 or later model? (The "About this Mac" info doesn't have anything I can interpret that indicates what year my Mini was manufactured.)

I assume Apple "has my number" and this upgrade announcement wouldn't show up on its own without software update determining (outside my view/knowledge) that my Mini is "new" enough, but is there ANY info in that "About" screen that identifies the model by year? Hidden in one of the strings of numbers and letters, maybe?

Is it concerning that Software Update didn't list Mavericks as available for my Mac? It does newly list the migration assistant upgrade to help with Snow Leopard (installed) to Mavericks. But is it worth dl-ing for hours tonight if I only have 2 gb of ram and don't know for sure if my 'puter is new enough?

*I was under the impression, since I bought this machine, that OSX 10.6.8 was the "highest" operating system the Mini could support. Has that changed?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), core duo

Posted on May 25, 2014 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2014 2:26 PM

How to identify Mac mini models

Also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini#

3 replies

May 25, 2014 6:03 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks! That page looked a little bit familiar😊....but it definitely had the answer I needed to the primary question. I'm still wondering if RAM will really be a big problem....a few questions and comments seemed to warn about not having enough RAM to see improved efficiency & performance. But I'll read up more on those questions and replies. Thanks again!

May 25, 2014 7:35 PM in response to blick

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac.

Then click on More Info>Hardware and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac mini

Machine Model: PowerMac10,1

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1

How to find out what year model my Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.