Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 wont turn on, charge or connect to itunes

My daughters iphone 5 is about 18 months old, she's recently had problems with the battery draining from 100% - 0% in a matter of a couple of hours even when not in use. Last week the battery drained and wouldn't charge, i tried everything i could think of and some things i found on the net. Yesterday i took it to a repair shop and they tested the battery, the battery was dead and he couldn't get it to charge. I decided to buy a new battery and hoped this fixed the problem. The phone charged as normal and everything was fine but today the phone died in a few hours and now wont charge again.

I've tried holding the home and power buttons for different amounts of time.

I've toggled the volume buttons,

left on charge for over an hour in the wall

I've cleaned all the conections and found no dust or anything.

I just can't get it to do anything.

I've connected it to my laptop but i can't even get itunes to recognise the phone, it's now been conected for a couple of hours and nothing is happening.

I've tried different chargers but as the chargers work with my own phone it can't be a faulty cable.

Is therre anything else i can try?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 25, 2014 2:53 PM

4 replies

May 27, 2014 7:44 AM in response to Claire_80

Hello Claire_80,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

The following troubleshooting steps will help in resolving this issue of the iPhone not powering on, and also not being recognized by iTunes:

Will not turn on, will not turn on unless connected to power, or unexpected power off

1. Verify that the Sleep/Wake button functions. If it does not function, inspect it for signs of damage. If the button is damaged or is not functioning when pressed, seek service.
  2. Check if a Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) is activated or there are signs of corrosion. Learn about LCIs and corrosion.
  3. Connect the iPhone to the iPhone's USB power adapter and let it charge for at least ten minutes.
  4. After at least 30 minutes, if:
    • The home screen appears: The iPhone should be working. Update to the latest version of iOS if necessary. Continue charging it until it is completely charged and you see this battery icon in the upper-right corner of the screen User uploaded file. Then unplug the phone from power. If it immediately turns off, seek service.
    • The low-battery image appears, even after the phone has charged for at least 20 minutes: See "iPhone displays the low-battery image and is unresponsive" symptom in this article.
    • Something other than the Home screen or Low Battery image appears, continue with this article for further troubleshooting steps.
  5. If the iPhone did not turn on, reset it while connected to the iPhone USB power adapter.
    • If the display turns on, go to step 4.
    • If the display remains black, go to next step.
  6. Connect the iPhone to a computer and open iTunes. If iTunes recognizes the iPhone and indicates that it is in recovery mode, attempt to restore the iPhone. If the iPhone doesn't appear in iTunes or if you have difficulties in restoring the iPhone, see this article for further assistance.
  7. If restoring the iPhone resolved the issue, go to step 4. If restoring the iPhone did not solve the issue, seek service.

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2802

Take care,

Alex H.

Jul 3, 2015 6:08 AM in response to Claire_80

Hi Claire

Sorry to hear that, not sure if you knew about a battery replacement program and a home and on off battery replacement program where apple had faulty i phones. I had my battery replaced as it did not last long and since it was sent back to them for service I now have had the same problems as you where My iphone will not turn turn on past the apple logo and then could not be restored through itunes although I have done everything that is required and talked to them on the phone. Alot of people I know have had the very same problems and seems to happen after the 2 year warranty is up (happened to me). I tried to explain to them that when you pay ALOT of money for an i phone it should last for way more than 2 years but they did not seem to care. Samsung may be a better deal for you. All the best

Shaz.

iphone 5 wont turn on, charge or connect to itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.