Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second monitor shows static after sleep

I have a macbook air mid 2011 running Mavericks 10.9.3

I have an apple dvi dual link thunderbolt adaptor connected to a standard apple 2.1A usb power supply and a Shiman 27" IPS monitor (@ 2560 x 1440).

About every second time the Air wakes from sleep, the monitor is overlayed with static. It's usable enough that I can see the menus and stuff through the static, and all it takes is to remove the thunderbolt plug and put it back in and the problem goes away.

The monitor itself is find and when connected by dual link to a PC it works fine.

Is there any known issues with the apple supplied dual link cables? This is my second one (the first broke at the thunderbolt plug end where the cable joins the plastic, as all apple-made cables do). Both this and the old cable had the same problem, all the way back to OSX 10.7.

Connecting to a single link DVI (which I do at home), VGA (e.g. a projector) or HDMI over thunderbolt do NOT show the same problem.

Is there a better cable I can use?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 25, 2014 3:41 PM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2014 9:35 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Unfortunately, the problem is still in occurence even though I have the firmware suggested by the articles you linked. Here's the system info page on the device:

User uploaded file

I can again confirm that no static occurs if:

• I connect using an Apple single-link DVI adaptor to another monitor (Dell 24" @ 1920x1200)
  • A different computer connects using a Dual-Link DVI cable to the monitor that shows static
  • The mac does not sleep. I currently use the "Caffeine" app to prevent this, but it's not a good solution.

The obvious but expensive solution is to try another cable - these things are $100. I don't have a local (within 50km that I know of) apple dealer who keeps these in stock.

Second monitor shows static after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.