Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory" error?

I've searched the web high and low to resolve this issue, tried many different approaches, and have not been able to resolve it. I'm really looking for help at this point.

I'm trying to export a 5 minute video that I've put together using FCPX 10.0.8. I export "master file" to an external hard drive and at some point in the export process I get the following popup:

User uploaded file

System information:

• 13" mid-2011 Macbook Air
  • Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (2GB x2)
  • Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
  • Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
  • Hard drive: 256 SSD (107 GB available)

FCPX project information:

• FCPX media is stored on SSD system drive and exporting to external drive
  • Media is 1080p 24 frame footage shot using a Canon T2i
  • Total Length of project is 5:13
  • Background rendering is off
  • Proxy media is created for all media but I am exporting original media

I've tried the following:

• Freeing up more hard drive space - I've anywhere from 25 GB to 107 GB free and it does not seem to matter how much free space I have, I still get the error
  • Repairing system drive - I've repaired permissions with Disk Utility and I've even performed a drive Rebuild using DiskWarrior
  • Cleaning up FCPX project - I've gone through and deleted all unused media, deleted project and event render files, etc
  • Cleared RAM - During export I've repeatedly ran MemoryKeeper to clear RAM and free up more memory
  • System restart before attempting the export and I also boot up holding 'shift' which blocks unnecessary background tasks, dropbox, etc from starting

Considerations/Observations:

• I've exported longer and more complex projects using the same setup with no problem, also with less free disk space
  • I've never seen this error in any other situation
  • The error will pop up anywhere from the export being 35% to 98% completed
  • Activity Monitor during export:
    • The only processes that are taking up any considerable memory are FCPX and kernal_task
    • '% CPU' on FCPX jumps around from 60% or less to 250% or more
    • FCPX usually has 83 threads
    • 'Real Memory' for FCPX can be anywhere from 300 MB to 2 GB
    • It seems that when the export is at about 25% or 30% that is when the computer starts slowing down, 'Free' system memory goes down to mere megabytes, and a ton of swapfiles start to generate in .../var/vm folder which will build up until I'm out of disk space
    • Sometimes the error will pop up even before I run out of disk space due to the swapfiles. Last time it came up when I still had 40 GB free

Screenshot of Activity Monitor 'System Memory' during a previous attempt to export, taken right as the error popped up:

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me figure this one out!

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Late 2011 Mac Book Air

Posted on May 25, 2014 5:17 PM

15 replies

May 25, 2014 10:25 PM in response to threeoten

UPDATE: As I continue to mess around trying to figure something out I've just found that creating a new project and new event using some of the original media from the project in question (one longer clip duplicated to make a similar length export) with no edits, transitions, etc... totally worked on export. None of the same issues with RAM and swapfiles. Everything else was the same. Same hard drives, same settings, same equipment.

May 26, 2014 12:55 AM in response to threeoten

Alchroma, in System Information it says, "Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63b)" Not sure why the forums here read me as using 10.7.4

Look in your original post.

Your Profile reads 10.7.4.

This and other details are what each user manually adds to describe their machines etc.

Knowing this info often helps with determining issues such as exports.

There are newer versions of FCPX and OS available than your existing ones.

Back yo your export problem, it could be a corrupt render file, try deleting the renders.

Al

May 26, 2014 10:22 AM in response to Alchroma

I'm not sure how the profile here is generated, I don't recall giving it that input. But my actual computer tells me that I'm running 10.7.5.

Yeah, there are newer updates, but I have not had any trouble exporting with this current setup before this particular project, so there should be no reason that it would stop working because of the versions I'm using.

I deleted all of the render files from the file menu inside FCPX for every project and event that I have and tried another export. No results.

May 26, 2014 2:37 PM in response to threeoten

You probably already know that this MBA has relatively marginal specs for FCP X. So you should give it every processing advantage possible – like keeping your projects and events on the external drive.

Why this project is having problems, while previous ones didn't, is hard to say. But the fact is that with all the swaps that AM is reporting, the system's resources are clearly being strained up to and beyond its limits. Try moving the project and its event off the SSD an to the external and see whether it then can complete the export.

Russ

May 27, 2014 2:14 AM in response to threeoten

I've tried the following:

• Freeing up more hard drive space - I've anywhere from 25 GB to 107 GB free and it does not seem to matter how much free space I have, I still get the error
  • Repairing system drive - I've repaired permissions with Disk Utility and I've even performed a drive Rebuild using DiskWarrior
  • Cleaning up FCPX project - I've gone through and deleted all unused media, deleted project and event render files, etc
  • Cleared RAM - During export I've repeatedly ran MemoryKeeper to clear RAM and free up more memory
  • System restart before attempting the export and I also boot up holding 'shift' which blocks unnecessary background tasks, dropbox, etc from starting

Activity Monitor during export:

• The only processes that are taking up any considerable memory are FCPX and kernal_task
  • '% CPU' on FCPX jumps around from 60% or less to 250% or more
  • FCPX usually has 83 threads
  • 'Real Memory' for FCPX can be anywhere from 300 MB to 2 GB
  • It seems that when the export is at about 25% or 30% that is when the computer starts slowing down, 'Free' system memory goes down to mere megabytes, and a ton of swapfiles start to generate in .../var/vm folder which will build up until I'm out of disk space
  • Sometimes the error will pop up even before I run out of disk space due to the swapfiles. Last time it came up when I still had 40 GB free

Like Russ said, your system specs are pretty marginal - especially the 4GB of RAM. As you are experiencing this sometimes gets rapidly depleted, so the system starts to use swap on the system drive - the internal SSD. You have written about freeing hard drive space - do you mean in the external? You really need room in the internal SSD: not for your export, but for system stuff like sleepimage, swap space etc. The error message is pretty clear: you reached a situation where there is not enough space in the SSD for your system to work properly.

May 27, 2014 7:45 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Like I said, I've exported longer and more complex projects than this one with no problem using this amount of RAM and less hard drive space, also running original media from the system drive (because it's a faster being a SSD whereas my external is not).

The freeing up of hard drive space that I was referring to was on the internal. 107 GB should be more than enough to operate. And the error message is not all that clear. It does not always eat up all the hard drive space, I've had it pop up mid export with a good 40 GB still free, which should still be enough.

May 27, 2014 2:23 PM in response to threeoten

UPDATE: I moved all of the event and project files to the external drive and tried another export. No results.

One other thing I noticed the last couple of attempts to export is that when I watch Activity Monitor the "Swap Used" caps at 59.00 GB. No matter how much free hard drive space that I have left. "Swap Used" hits 59.00 GB and the error pops up. It also seems that the "free memory" goes from hundreds of MB to almost nothing pretty consistantly at 28% of the export process.

May 28, 2014 3:37 AM in response to threeoten

There is clearly something very wrong here. 59GB of swap use is a monstruosity.

I am guessing that some weird corruption occurred on this one project, or one of the media files used in it.

One thing to try: create a completely new project, and copy and paste everything from the problematic project into the new one. Try exporting the new one. What happens?

May 28, 2014 4:31 AM in response to threeoten

threeoten wrote:

... using FCPX 10.0.8.

those memory-leak problems were solved with actual vers FCPX 10.1.

update. done.

If you're in the midths of a project and don't dare to update yet:

while exporting, control via Activity monitor your swap file size.

when it gets critical, launch Terminal and type

purge

hit <enter>

I used then when FCPX.08 was around an underpowered MacMini; that purge-trick solved the mem-leak problem..

as mentioned: just update (it's free...) ...

May 28, 2014 4:34 PM in response to threeoten

SOLVED: Last night I was able to pinpoint the issue and get a successful export with no memory leak. I started deleting certain parts of the project out of the story line to see if any one clip was causing the error. I started with certain footage (compound clips, synchronized clips, audio) and then tried an export to find that it worked, so I continued to narrow it down from there and found that the issue was a synchronized clip with external mic audio synced with video. I saved the color corrections that I made on that clip as presets, trashed the old synchronized clip, re-synced the same two original media that made up the old synced clip, brought that new synced clip into the timeline, reapplied edits and color correction presets from the old clip, and done. Exported just fine using the system drive for export destination and project/event file storage. Must have been some weird bug that got built into that synced clip along the way somewhow. One interesting thing I notice now is the significance of the memory leak starting consistantly at 28% completion of the export. If you do the math based on the length of the whole project, the buggy synced clip starts right at about 28% of the running time of the project. Meaning that the memory leak started right as the export started rendering the buggy clip.

Thanks for your input everyone!

"Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory" error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.