Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applescript-xattr

Hey, i have used the xattr commnad in applescript to list the tag of the file example.rtf (as below)

xattr -px com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags "example.rtf" | xxd -r -p - - | plutil -convert json -o - - | sed 's/[][]//g' | tr ',' '\n'

and the result is

"Ricette\n5"

What i need now is to SET the TAG of another file (es. pink.rtf) like the previous result "Ricette".

Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), MBP,iMac,iphone,iBook G4

Posted on May 26, 2014 7:04 AM

6 replies

May 27, 2014 5:56 AM in response to Barney-15E

You are right. I found the solution there.

Now a have, hope,last question. The following script is correctly working using Terminal

xattr -wx com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags "$(xattr -px com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags aaa.rtf)" bbb.rtf;xattr -wx com.apple.FinderInfo "$(xattr -px com.apple.FinderInfo aaa.rtf)" bbb.rtf

but when i put it in the applescript

do shell script "xattr -wx com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags "$(xattr -px com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags aaa.rtf)" bbb.rtf;xattr -wx com.apple.FinderInfo "$(xattr -px com.apple.FinderInfo aaa.rtf)" bbb.rtf"

it returns me the error

Syntax Error

Expected end of line, etc. but found unknown token.

Applescript-xattr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.