Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto calling to home network server that no longer exists

I had to replace a network drive I was using as a home server some time ago, and now whenever I go to the Desktop & Screensaver prefs pane, I get a message indicating "There was a problem connecting to the server newserver2".

This turned out to be coming from iPhoto. If I move my iPhoto Library to the desktop, then launch the Desktop & Screensavers prefs pane, I don't get the error message. When I put the iPhoto Library back in the Pictures folder, the error message returns.

At some point in the distant past, I imported some pictures from that server into iPhoto, and now for some reason the prefs pane in question wants to access that source. Launching iPhoto doesn't give any error message.

I've poked around in the database & plist files inside the iPhoto Library package, and looked in the Preferences for iPhoto, but have not found any reference to this old server. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mid-2007 iMac 6GB RAM 1TB HD

Posted on May 26, 2014 9:23 AM

6 replies

May 26, 2014 9:50 AM in response to LeVeau

Try deleting the com.apple.iApps.plist preference file from your Home/Library/Preferences folder and relaunch iPhoto.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

OT

May 26, 2014 11:27 AM in response to LeVeau

You have one or more links to a disused server in the iPhoto library. Since the server is no longer accessible, those links are now invalid. You should be able to find them by a tedious process of elimination. First, back up all data.

Select about half of your photos and start to drag them. Don't actually move them anywhere; just drag them a little and release. If you get the warning, then some of the photos you selected are invalid links. Narrow down the selection. If you don't get the warning, select the other half of the library.

When you've isolated the invalid items, delete them and then select

iPhoto ▹ Empty iPhoto Trash

from the menu bar. Finally, rebuild the iPhoto library.

(Credit for this idea to Winston Moy of winstonmoy.com.)

In some cases, the above procedure may not work. Then you'll have to create a new library with the contents of the existing one. The easiest way to do that is with a third-party application called "iPhoto Library Manager," which you can find in a web search. From the application's menu bar (not the iPhoto menu bar), select

Library Rebuild

Books, calendars, and slideshows won't be preserved.

iPhoto calling to home network server that no longer exists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.