You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort connected to Arris modem

Dear Apple Support Community,

I recently acquired both an AirPort Time Capsule and an AirPort Express. My network comes from an Arris TG862 modem provided by my Internet Provider. Hoping to have a wider Wifi connection through the house I want to change my old TP-Link routers with the AirPort Time Capsule and on a different floor level, extending the network, with the AirPort Express.

My network right now: Arris TG862 - TP-Link (via WAN) - TP-Link (Via LAN)

What I want it to be like: Arris TG862 - AirPort Time Capsule - AirPort Express

I wasn’t successful at making it work properly so I'd like to know a step by step configuration. Also, some tips on which AirPort should I use it as a Bridge mode (or both) and whether which WAN/LAN port should be used. I know some things sound silly but just wanna make sure the set up is right, since I tried making it work in several ways.

Thank you.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 26, 2014 10:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2014 10:53 AM

AirPort Setup literally will walk you through the setup. Other than assigning a few names and a password, everything else will happen automatically.

Start over by powering up the Time Capsule for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button.....located near the AC cord socket.....for 8-10 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the Arris gateway to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

On your Mac....open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on Other Wi-Fi Devices

Click on Time Capsule

The setup utility will open up automatically and suggest a setup similar the illustration below, except that you will see a picture of a Time Capsule.

User uploaded file

Network Name........Type is a simple name that you want to call your wireless network

Base Station...........Type in a simple name for the Time Capsule device

Password................Type in a password that will be used for both the wireless network and base station

Verify Password......Type in the password again

Click Next

Wait for a minute while things are setup for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done

Close AirPort Utility, select your wireless network, and enter the password to connect

Post back on your progress, and then we will setup the AirPort Express.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 26, 2014 10:53 AM in response to gabbasuxx

AirPort Setup literally will walk you through the setup. Other than assigning a few names and a password, everything else will happen automatically.

Start over by powering up the Time Capsule for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button.....located near the AC cord socket.....for 8-10 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the Arris gateway to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

On your Mac....open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on Other Wi-Fi Devices

Click on Time Capsule

The setup utility will open up automatically and suggest a setup similar the illustration below, except that you will see a picture of a Time Capsule.

User uploaded file

Network Name........Type is a simple name that you want to call your wireless network

Base Station...........Type in a simple name for the Time Capsule device

Password................Type in a password that will be used for both the wireless network and base station

Verify Password......Type in the password again

Click Next

Wait for a minute while things are setup for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done

Close AirPort Utility, select your wireless network, and enter the password to connect

Post back on your progress, and then we will setup the AirPort Express.

May 27, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob! I did just what you wrote on here and my Time Capsule seems to be working just fine! Now I want my AirPort Express to work on this set up! my bigger problem was that whenever I added my Express after my Time Capsule configuration, the Wifi signal got all messed up, it didn't work properly and from time to time my Express would disappear from the AirPort Utility diagram or even my Time Capsule would.

Some photos below on how my diagram sometimes appeared after I configured both AirPorts:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I kept receivng this message too, my computer wouldn't stop changing hostnames.

I'd like my AirPort Express to extend my AirPort Time Capsule Wifi, but let me know what you think would be better, to just configure it as a second Wifi or what. I'd need some further help on this part of the configuration (AirPort Express). Hope you can help me..

Thank you so much!

May 27, 2014 9:32 AM in response to gabbasuxx

User uploaded file

This is an issue with the Arris modem/router not keeping proper track of the devices to which it has issued an IP address on the network.

Power off the Arris device for a few minutes and restart the Arris. If the error continues, you will need to contact your ISP or Arris for support on that device.

Is it possible for you to connect the Ethernet cable from the AirPort Express to the Time Capsule, rather than the Arris modem/router. If yes, that is the way that I would recommend that you set things up.

For now, power off the AirPort Express for a minute and disconnect the Ethernet cable at the Express

Then, power up the Express for a minute or two and hold in the reset button for 8-10 seconds, then release. Allow a full minute for the Express to restart.

Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN "O" port on the Express and to a LAN <--> port on either the Time Capsule or the Arris modem/router

Open up AirPort Utility

Click Other WiFi Devices

Click AirPort Express

The utility will suggest a setup for the Express to extend the Time Capsule network. All that you need to do is enter a device name that you want to call the Express and click Next

The utility will set up everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done and close AirPort Utility.

That's it.

May 27, 2014 10:22 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you so much! I tried this before contacting the community but now that I tried again it's working flawless... and I hope it continues like that. Thanks for the support!

User uploaded file

So good to see all green spots there, without receiving errors again.

Just another question: In case I add in the future a second AirPort Express to place in my basement, should I just follow the instructions you provided for my AirPort Express and it should work just the same, right?

Once again, thanks!

AirPort connected to Arris modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.