Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

language localization problem

my pc won't open itunes, when i try to, it reads " this version of itunes has not been correctly localized for this language. please run the english version."

how do i fix this so i can open my itunes and back up my iphone?

Posted on May 26, 2014 12:39 PM

3 replies

May 28, 2014 8:00 AM in response to karla2371

Brett, that won't help if iTunes cannot open.

Karla, try these steps:

1. Please triple-click on the block of text below to select all of it, then press CTRL+C to copy it.

cmd /k REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes" /v LangID /t REG_SZ /d "1033"

2. Press the WinLogoKey+R to open the Run... dialog.

3. Paste the text into the box with CTRL+V and then press enter/return. Overwrite the value if prompted.

Alternatively, if you are confident using the registry editor, open it and locate the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes. It might be useful to know what value is shown there now for LangID since several users are reporting this problem. Change the value of LangID to 1033 to tell iTunes to use English (United States). Once iTunes is able to start you can change this if needed, or you could look up the desired hex Locale ID from this table.

I've just used this technique several times to flip iTunes between English (US) and English (UK). Although I'm in the UK I prefer the US labels of Movies and TV Shows as opposed to Films and TV Programmes. I'm guessing that there is currently a value in your registry (or none at all?) that doesn't match with any of the languages that iTunes is customized for, although why it cannot switch to English automatically is another matter.

I've not had this problem myself, but I'm assuming at this point that correcting the user setting is all that needs to be done. Just in case however the following would correct the global setting which would normally be used when setting up a new user or if the current user hasn't been configured for the application.

Command to copy & paste:

cmd /k REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes" /v InstalledLangID /t REG_SZ /d "1033"

or locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\iTunes and edit:InstalledLangID to the value 1033.

Please let me know how you get on.

tt2

May 28, 2014 9:09 AM in response to karla2371

Hmm, I've just tried putting various invalid region codes in and deleting the two values altogether and I can't reproduce the error message. iTunes defaults to my own locale of English (UK). Perhaps I've gone down a blind alley?

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

language localization problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.