Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash won't empty

In an effort to quickly remove the files from a previous Time Machine drive (that I didn't need to reformat), I just moved the folders to Trash. This worked fine as far as removing the folders from the drive, but now I can't empty the Trash. I have no idea how many folders/files are in Trash, but there are probably 250 GB worth. I've tried Trash It, which has always worked in the past, but even it locks up when asked to delete this data from Trash. I would appreciate any ideas...thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 26, 2014 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2014 4:10 PM

It's a common problem. The only way out that I know of is to erase the volume.

14 replies

May 26, 2014 4:37 PM in response to tbirdvet

tbirdvet, I'll give it a try, but won't hold my breath. I've been using Macs forever and I'm a retired developer and geek...no where have I ever read to NOT do this. Obviously, it's something I shouldn't have done, but if it's such a critical issue, perhaps Apple might want to add a warning about it somewhere in the Time Machine documentation. I'll let you know what happens, but using secure empty trash takes so long anyway, I'm sure for 250 GB of data it will take a week or so...if it even works.

May 26, 2014 5:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, let me explain in more detail.

1. The TM backup volume was being used by an old iMac.

2. I bought her a new iMac and "manually" reconfigured everything...not by using the TM backup.

3. Everything was fine until I plugged the TM drive in so I could delete the files. I got the tutorial asking if I wanted to use that volume for a TM backup...I said NO...then I trashed all the folders on the TM drive.

This brings me to where I am now...all the old TM backup files are in Trash on the newly configured iMac and won't delete. Nor can they be moved back to the old TM drive, they can only be "copied" to the drive and then still remain in Trash.

May 26, 2014 8:24 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

After a lot of Google searching, I found the answer. I went back to a normal "Delete Trash" action and let the trash identify almost 800K files before it started counting down the deletions. I thought I'd finally figured this out until it hit zero and then started counting negatiely...which went on for several hundred thousand files while I was still searching.

I tried ejecting the "empty" TM drive but of course OS X wouldn't let me, saying it was still in use. So if it was still in use I figured the only thing that could be "in use" were symlinks to what used to be on the drive. So I searched on how to "force eject" a drive that wouldn't eject...found that quickly, went to Disk Utility and ran the force quit procedures. It made me affirm twice that I truly wanted to do this and lose all the data on the drive (which was already gone)...and when I did so, the trash was empty.

I appreciate all the comments, and even though I found the solution myself, looking back at the thread, Linc Davis actually said to erase the drive as the first answer, even though the drive didn't have anything on it and at that time was not plugged in. So I'm awarding him the solution.

Mar 5, 2015 4:17 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

Gentleman,

I have a 27" Late 2009 iMac running 10.9.5. It's been a great computer until recently. As a result of poor performance I decided to run an Anti-virus software application (first time ever for a Mac). The Software scanned both my Computer and TM backup drive. It found an issue and quarantined the files. I hit the button to clean the files. For the computer it removed the files without issue. However, when it removed the same files from the TM Backup, it put the files in Trash. Now I can clear the trash. I have read a couple of threads about this and I have tried their solutions....They have not worked....including trying to fix in recovery mode. And then I cam across this thread and attempted to do the same thing. However, your solution did not work either. Any other ideas?

The file is a such: 2014-10-16-164641/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Boot.efi.

I can not restore it to the backup drive, I can't delete from the trash.

Mar 6, 2015 4:52 AM in response to bizzo1

Your anti-virus software has probably borked your backups, perhaps irreversibly. Worse, the file that you have cited as an example isn't even malicious... it's a normal part of Mac OS X.

First step, ditch the anti-virus software. (Out of curiosity, what is it? Is it Avast?) It has caused you some significant problems, and hasn't done anything at all to help you.

To fix the trash problem, see:

Can't empty the trash after deleting backups via the Finder

If that doesn't work, my best guess would be that you will need to erase your backup drive and start over.

As for the performance problems that led you to install anti-virus software, that's probably the result of having some junk third-party software installed. Download a copy of EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Run that and post the results in a new discussion. (Don't post that on this discussion, as that's not really related to the topic.)

Trash won't empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.