Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RE missing (?) plug-in OS X 10.5.8 :

RE plug-ins OS X 10.5.8 : Recently I have been having some sporadic trouble with safari (5.0.6) and started to look at plug-ins - The apple support document entitled "Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues" to be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3230

Listed in the above dodument are items NOT to be deleted:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Quartz Composer.webplugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.webplugin (Mac OS X v10.5.x only)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin (Mac OS X v10.5.x only)

checking the list against my directory I see that I am missing the item /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin

and, checking my timemachine backups, seem never to have had one.

Is this possible?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 26, 2014 3:14 PM

7 replies

May 26, 2014 8:35 PM in response to Cynthia from Onex

About Safari 5.1.7 and Leopard Security Update 2012-003

Summary

Learn about Safari 5.1.7 and Leopard Security Update 2012-003.

Products Affected

Mac OS X 10.5, Product Security, Safari 5.1 (Mac OS X 10.6), Safari 5.1 (OS X Lion)

Safari 5.1.7 for OS X Lion, Safari 5.1.7 for OS X Snow Leopard, and Leopard Security Update 2012-003 disable out-of-date versions of Adobe Flash Player.

Out-of-date versions of Adobe Flash Player do not include the latest security updates and will be disabled to help keep your Mac secure. If Safari 5.1.7 or Leopard Security Update 2012-003 detects an out-of-date version of Flash Player on your system, you will see a dialog informing you that Flash Player has been disabled. The dialog provides the option to go directly to Adobe's website, where you can download and install an updated version of Flash Player.

Additional Information

If you need to re-enable an out-of-date version of Flash Player, you can do the following:

1. Navigate to the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (Disabled) folder.
  2. Drag "Flash Player.plugin" into /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.
  3. If the browser is running, quit and restart it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5271

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5655

May 27, 2014 1:32 PM in response to Cynthia from Onex

Hi Cynthia,

No such plugin in 10.4.11 ir 10.5.8, here's my list in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/...

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

Windows Media Plugin

CouponPrinter-FireFox.plugin

CouponPrinter-Safari.webplugin

DirectorShockwave.plugin

Disabled Plug-Ins

DRM Plugin.bundle

Flash Player.plugin

Flash Player.plugin.zip

flashplayer.xpt

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin

iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

JavaPluginCocoa.bundle

NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave

nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

Quartz Composer.webplugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.webplugin

VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin

May 27, 2014 5:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Dear BDAqua, Wow! Thank you so much for taking the trouble to look! Your response answered my question explicitly - it did solve this problem. [But I mistakenly checked "helped" instead of "solved my problem" and it seems that the apple procedure does not allow one to check "solved" if one has already checked "helped", sorry.] So now I don't have to re-install system, etc., just great, the erratic behaviour of safari is due to something else and not some missing fantome file, or at least not to the missing Default Browser.plugin. By the way, looking yesterday I noticed that I have no Disabled Plug-ins, but I remember vaguely getting rid of something several months ago, so I suppose that I should have; I'll look at some old backups and see, but I'll save that for tomorrow since it's after 2 am here in Switzerland. Thank you again!

RE missing (?) plug-in OS X 10.5.8 :

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.