1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 4, 2006 5:05 PM by Dr. Smoke
George Machen Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
Keychain suddenly stopped working.

In Keychain Access Keychain First Aid:

"Repair started
Checking keychain configuration for [my username] (user ID=501)
Home directory is /Users/[my username]
Checked login keychain
Error: login keychain not found
Repair terminated unexpectedly"

In Keychain Access prefs, Reset My Keychain: "Unable to reset - something else went wrong."

Repaired permissions, fsck, etc.

Now what?

PowerBook Pismo 500, Mac OS X (10.4.5)
  • Dr. Smoke Level 9 Level 9 (56,585 points)
    Hi, George.

1. You wrote:
    "Error: login keychain not found"
    It looks like either you cannot access your default keychain due to a permissions error or your default keychain is missing.

Use Get Info to assure you are the Owner and have Access of "Read & Write" on your Home > Library > Keychains folder. This folder should contain your default keychain. If you are neither the Owner nor have Access of "Read & Write" on this folder, make the changes accordingly using the Details sub-panel of the Ownership & Permissions panel of that folder's Get Info window.

The name of your default keychain may be either

• The short name of your user account if the account was created under Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

• login if the account was created under Mac OS X 10.3 Panther or later.

The default keychain for an account is always highlighted in bold in the Keychains list in Keychain Access. All of the instructions in Keychain Access Help and Mac Help regarding keychains assume the accounts were created under Tiger and always refer to keychain login. Keep this in mind if your account was created under Jaguar.

As with the Home > Library > Keychains folder, you should also be the Owner and have Access of "Read & Write" on your default keychain file therein.

2. You wrote:
    "Repaired permissions, fsck, etc."
    Did fsck find and correct any errors?

As FYI, if your default keychain file is missing from your Home > Library > Keychains folder, assuming you've not deleted the file, this may be due to hard disk directory corruption. Running fsck is one method. Another way to check for directory corruption, is to perform at least Steps 1 and 2 of the Procedure outlined in my "Resolving Disk, Permission, and Cache Corruption" FAQ. Perform the steps therein in the order specified.

3. If directory corruption is not found, then you should restore your accounts keychain from your most recent backup, assuming you have implemented a comprehensive Backup and Recovery solution, such as I discuss in my "Backup and Recovery" FAQ.

4. Finally, you can always create a new keychain and make it your default keychain: in Keychain Access, select File > New Keychain. Then select it in the Keychains list and select File > Make Keychain "name of new keychain you created" Default.

5. See also my recent discussions of another person's keychain issues here.

Good luck!

Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

---
    Note: The information provided in the link(s) above is freely available. However, because I own The X Lab™, a commercial Web site to which some of these links point, the Apple Discussions Terms of Use require I include the following disclosure statement with this post:

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.