Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a windows8 and my ipod nano is the 7th gen but when i plug it in its says, an ipod has been detected, but could not be idetified properly.please disconnect and reconect try again. tried everything, nothing has helped

please help

iPod nano

Posted on May 27, 2014 7:14 AM

3 replies

May 29, 2014 9:24 AM in response to jess160

Hey there Jess160,

It sounds like you are unable to use your iPod with your PC due to this message that it cannot be identified properly. I would use the following article to help resolve the issue, found here:

iPod nano: Error message saying that iPod 'could not be identified properly'

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3218

Start with these 2 steps, and use the rest of the troubleshooting if you need it:

Verify that your computer meets the minimum system requirements

iPod nano (5th and 6th generation) requires the following minimum versions of Windows:

• Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7

If you have one of these versions of Windows, verify that Windows is fully up to date by downloading and installing software updates from Microsoft. If you have Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, download and install Service Pack 3 using Windows Update.

Verify that iTunes is installed and updated

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes by running Apple Software Update or by downloading and installing iTunes from the downloads page.

To confirm whether you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows, follow the steps in this article. In the window to which that article directs you, look for the heading entitled "System Type". This will specify a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7, be sure you are using the 64-bit version of iTunes, which is available in a separate link on the downloads page.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

May 29, 2014 2:07 PM in response to cwcpdx

Hi,

I also have this problem and have tried all the apple support processes. I have now narrowed it down to an error in the USB mass storage device drivers where there is an error stating 'windows is uninstalling this driver (code21)'. I have checked that all the drivers are up to date, itunes is up to date and I have just upgraded to windows 8.1 (maybe this is the problem!).

Help - what can I do to fix this error code?

i have a windows8 and my ipod nano is the 7th gen but when i plug it in its says, an ipod has been detected, but could not be idetified properly.please disconnect and reconect try again. tried everything, nothing has helped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.