Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"[my applescript applet] is not allowed assistive devices"

Hi all -

I have upgraded to Mavericks (10.9.3) and the Applescripts I have been using since Snow Leopard (Lion, Mountain Lion) have suddenly stopped working. The issue is that they seem not have permission to access assistive devices (the error is "[my applescript applet here] is not allowed assistive devices").

There is a suggested fix for this problem, specifically for Mavericks and Applescript applets: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5914

However, I have implemented the changes in that link and re-signed the app but it doesn't solve the problem. I still get the same error message that my applet is not allowed assistive devices. I have added it to the "Security and Privacy" list, but it doesn't seem to recognize it (even after re-signing as suggested in HT5914).

I can run the AppleScripts from the AppleScript app (because I added the AppleScript App itself to "System Preferences"->"Security and Privacy") but that of course takes extra steps, and I'm using AppleScript to avoid extra steps.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 27, 2014 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2014 10:29 AM

Here is an OK workaround.

I use QuickSilver to launch applications with a couple of keyboard buttons. In System Preferences->Security and Privacy, I allowed QuickSilver access to assistive devices. Then, if I run the scripts via QuickSilver, they work. I can't run the applets through QuickSilver; whether I run them through QuickSilver or the Finder they still say "[my appletscript applet" is not allowed assistive devices" but I can run the script quickly through Quicksilver.

In practice, I had to delete the applets so QuickSilver would find the scripts first.

This isn't a true fix but it will tide me over until there is a true fix.

Steve

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2014 10:29 AM in response to steve_vh

Here is an OK workaround.

I use QuickSilver to launch applications with a couple of keyboard buttons. In System Preferences->Security and Privacy, I allowed QuickSilver access to assistive devices. Then, if I run the scripts via QuickSilver, they work. I can't run the applets through QuickSilver; whether I run them through QuickSilver or the Finder they still say "[my appletscript applet" is not allowed assistive devices" but I can run the script quickly through Quicksilver.

In practice, I had to delete the applets so QuickSilver would find the scripts first.

This isn't a true fix but it will tide me over until there is a true fix.

Steve

"[my applescript applet] is not allowed assistive devices"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.