Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't restart iCloud keychain w/o SMS?

I turned off iCloud a while back & want to restart it for keychain access, but it keeps trying to SMS my phone, which is only a Skype #, which doesn't receive SMS. I don't see a pathway out of this dead end. Anyone know?

mbp 2.4 13"

Posted on May 27, 2014 12:34 PM

2 replies

May 28, 2014 4:46 PM in response to randers4

That seems to be for starting a new account? But I used to have one, and so I can't use these instructions (below): I don't see an "Advanced" button. It takes me from password straight to Security Code, which I have, But then just asks for the SMS code it's "sent", but I can't receive.

Macs using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later

1. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences. Click iCloud, then select Keychain.
  2. Enter your Apple ID password.
  3. Click Advanced, then choose one of these two options:
    • Get a Random Security Code.
    • Don't Create Security Code. Choosing not to create an iCloud Security Code means that your iCloud Keychain is stored only locally on your Mac and updates only across your approved devices, not with Apple's servers.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete setup of iCloud Keychain.

Other ideas?

Thanks!

can't restart iCloud keychain w/o SMS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.