Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limiter, Normalizer, or Both?

Hey guys, I am editing a long "speech", a sermon. There's tons of inflections but I want to keep his regular speaking voice db levels at -6db and not let it peak out. Should I use a limiter, normalizer, or both (or anything else)? If more than one of these, what order should I apply them in? Thanks in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 1067 MHz RAM; FCS 4

Posted on May 27, 2014 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2014 5:32 PM

I know many people that prefer using the normalization method, but personally, I prefer using a compressor/limiter filter. Levels below the threshold you set won't be affected; only those above the threshold will be compressed at the ratio you set.

If you want to keep an average of -12db with peaks at -6db or below, a threshold setting of -18db or -16db and a compression ratio of 8:1 works well with most speech.

-DH

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2014 5:32 PM in response to mrockett

I know many people that prefer using the normalization method, but personally, I prefer using a compressor/limiter filter. Levels below the threshold you set won't be affected; only those above the threshold will be compressed at the ratio you set.

If you want to keep an average of -12db with peaks at -6db or below, a threshold setting of -18db or -16db and a compression ratio of 8:1 works well with most speech.

-DH

Limiter, Normalizer, or Both?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.