Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone besides me get an annoying popup that cannot be deleted/closed reading: FaceTime Password Please enter your password for "my e-mail account name" Never used FaceTime.

Dear Community,
Anyone besides me get an annoying popup that cannot be deleted/closed reading:

FaceTime Password
Please enter your password for "my e-mail account name"
It happened to me today for the first time since upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.3, no "stop lights" in the title bar of the popup, in fact nothing at all.

I've never established a FaceTime account.

So I tried to delete FaceTime from the Applications folder on the "system" disk thinking this may eliminate the popup. Mavericks informed me "Cannot delete FaceTime as it is used by the operating system.

Is this a MAC virus? Or is this an example user community alpha/beta testing that Apple just announced?
TIA,
GonzoBernelli

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 27, 2014 6:27 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2014 1:47 PM in response to John Galt

John,

I think you mis-interpreted my intent. It was not about FaceTime itself being a "virus" but was the "FaceTime popup" a [phishing] virus masquerading as a common application's popup, since it displayed none of the usual decorations such as traffic lights or text in the title bar.

Since I have no interest in FaceTime, I have never started the app, so the OFF option under Preferences never presented itself to me. That being the case, why then did the FaceTime popup even appear in the first place?

Your response did help me get rid of the annoyance and for that, thank you.

GonzoBernelli

May 28, 2014 2:01 PM in response to GonzoBernelli

That being the case, why then did the FaceTime popup even appear in the first place?

It's not clear to me what it is. If it occurs again, please take a screenshotof the popup and post it in a reply.

To take a screenshot hold ⌘ Shift 4 to create a selection crosshair. Click and hold while you drag the crosshair over the area you wish to capture and then release the mouse button. You will hear a "camera shutter" sound. This will deposit a screenshot on your Desktop.

If you can't find it on your Desktop look in your Documents or Downloads folder.

When you post your response, click the "camera" icon above the text field:

User uploaded file

This will display a dialog box which enables you to choose the screenshot file (remember it's on your Desktop) and click the Insert Image button.

The screenshot attachment option for this support site appears only on computers - not on iPads.

⌘ Shift 4 and then pressing the space bar captures the frontmost window.

⌘ Shift 3 captures the entire screen.

Drag the screenshot to the Trash after you post your reply.

Sep 24, 2014 6:39 PM in response to GonzoBernelli

User uploaded file

Yes. Me. Every single restart or boot. Nothing stops it: not running the program and choosing “off” from the preferences, not deleting the FaceTime Preferences from the Library folder, not even deleting FaceTime (I have _Skype_ and I’ve liked it fine for years) with the Terminal. Apple seems to want you on FaceTime and is willing to nag you for as long as it takes. Just one instance among many of the increasingly Microsofty side of the Apple of recent years. Unless someone can suggest better I’ll go on hitting “Cancel” twice (the box re-appears) every time I start my computer until I can’t stand it any more, after which I’ll revert my Retina Mac to Snow Leopard or some such version of system. The better integration promised between iPads, desk and laptop Macs sounded, well, promising, but I didn’t pay for a Retina Mac to deal with Big Brother.

Anyone besides me get an annoying popup that cannot be deleted/closed reading: FaceTime Password Please enter your password for "my e-mail account name" Never used FaceTime.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.