Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac RAM

So I have a Mid-2011 iMac.

I got some more RAM in the mail (2x8GB) today and was wondering if it would be better to keep the 2x2GB RAM in the top two slots and add the 2x8GB RAM in the bottom two slots, or just remove the 4GB of RAM and replace it with the 2x8GB.

Is there much of a difference because the RAM isn't even in the slots, or does it not matter?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 28, 2014 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2014 5:41 AM

I don't think it'll matter so long as the chips are paired side by side. In my late '09 27" iMac I have 2x2gb in the top two slots and 2x4gb in the bottom two. It's worked perfectly with this chip configuration for 4 years.

4 replies

May 28, 2014 5:56 AM in response to mrrbatty

Looking at the tech specs, it looks like the Mid-2011 iMac can support only up to 16GB of RAM. I'd remove the 2x2GB setup, and dual channel the 2x8GB.

27 Inch Tech Specs

21.5 Inch Tech Specs

Looking here it shows the same thing, and here suggests the SODIMM slots may only be able to take 4GB sticks, so keep your old sticks nearby just in case.

Number of memory slots 4
Base memory 4 GB (but is configured to order)
Maximum memory 16 GB
Note: For the iMac (Late 2009) models, you can use 2 GB or 4 GB RAM SO-DIMMs of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM in each slot. For the iMac (Mid 2010) and iMac (Mid 2011) models, use 2 GB or 4 GB RAM SO-DIMMs of 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM in each slot.

iMac RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.