Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Ransomware from my iPad Version 7.1.1

I got hit with the screen that has become popular about having to pay money to rid a virus, etc.

I have read everything about the ransomware, and tried all the fixes for Safari I can find, like resetting it, clearing the browsing history, etc.

Periodically, my iPad will reset and go back to the home screen, from within Safari, Google search, Mercury browser, etc.,

Is there a site for iPads that has the removal tool for ransomware, or do I have some other issue?

Is there a way of reverting back to the previous IOS without losing everything on the iPad?

Thanks...

iPad, I've checked the other sounds setup

Posted on May 28, 2014 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2017 2:52 AM

HI. There is a simpler way of dealing with this. Come out of safari and go into your emails. Select an email that has a link to a web page. Open the link, and this will open in Safari. in Safari select spli view (icon top right corner) and this will show all pages open in Safari including the Malware as multiple pages Then simply close down the malware page. Then clear your history

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2017 2:52 AM in response to SpinksDad

HI. There is a simpler way of dealing with this. Come out of safari and go into your emails. Select an email that has a link to a web page. Open the link, and this will open in Safari. in Safari select spli view (icon top right corner) and this will show all pages open in Safari including the Malware as multiple pages Then simply close down the malware page. Then clear your history

May 28, 2014 8:29 AM in response to SpinksDad

Are you seeing a message saying your iPad has been hacked by "Oleg Pliss" and locking it with a passcode? If so, see:

Australians getting locked out of iOS devices

If not, exactly what are you seeing?

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

May 28, 2014 8:39 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing a message. The iPad simply reverts back to the home screen (first page of icons).

I may, in reality, NOT have ransomware. I just don't know what else it could be. I can't afford to call Apple, or pay the per session price for support, since I've been out of work for more than two years. Would appreciate your thoughts on whether I do or do not have ransomware, maybE....

May 28, 2014 8:44 AM in response to SpinksDad

Please tell me that it has NEVER been jailbroke. If that's the case, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, if you have IOS-7, read this.

May 28, 2014 8:47 AM in response to SpinksDad

Unlikely then iPad has any type of ransomware. Ransomware usually involves a message purporting to have your data encrypted and inaccessible. due to the way iOS is built, there is almost no way a virus or hack could access the iPAds file area outside of the sanboxed brwoser area.

Its more likely a crash brought on by shortage of RAM in the browsers. It can happen if you have many tabs open or very image and video intensive sites.

Try resetting the iPad by holding down the Home and sleep/power buttons at the same time until the Apple logo shows up.

This will reboot the iPad. And usually clears many bugs and issues like the one you describe.

May 28, 2014 9:57 AM in response to SpinksDad

I am not seeing a message. The iPad simply reverts back to the home screen (first page of icons).

Ahh, that simply means that whatever app you were using at the time has crashed. That is not related to the ransomware scam site you saw. Frequent crashing in multiple apps could be indicative of some systemwide problem.

First, try resetting your device. Press and hold both the home button and the sleep/wake button for about 10 seconds, until the screen turns off. Ignore the slider that will appear. Release the buttons, then press and hold the sleep/wake button until the Apple logo appears. This is the equivalent of a reboot, and should not affect your data or apps.

If that doesn't help, try restoring your device from backups, and if that doesn't help, restore it to factory settings (ie, do not restore a backup). See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

If none of that helps, the issue is caused by some kind of hardware problem, and the device will need to be repaired or (more likely) replaced.

Remove Ransomware from my iPad Version 7.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.