Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Card upgrade for Early 2008 MacPro III

I'm looking to upgrade the stock video card in my Early 2008 Mac Pro (2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 14 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB graphics, running OS X 10.9.3). In reading the posts here and elsewhere, it looks like a PC card like one of the two below would work and would meet my price requirements ($200 or less). I know that the non-Mac cards won't show the boot screen, and that does not worry me as I will keep the old card for emergencies. I'm interested in faster graphics performance overall and in online games.

I have narrowed my options down to two versions of the GeForce GTX 660 available on Amazon:

#1: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/Displayport SLI Ready Graphics Card GV-N660OC-2GD

#2: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR

In reading the reviews on Amazon, I like #1 better because it seems to have a better, and most importantly for me, QUIETER, cooling fan system. My questions are:

Will both of these cards work?

Any preference between them?

Any issues likely with power supply or back-compatibility of the PCI-e 3.0 card with the PCI-e 2.0 slots?

Any other suggestions?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 28, 2014 11:24 AM

7 replies

Sep 12, 2014 8:27 AM in response to PeteSchatz

Here's an update. I bought the first GTX 660 card listed above (Amazon: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/Displayport SLI Ready Graphics Card GV-N660OC-2GD) and installed it. It requires one power cable purchased separately (Amazon: PCIe PCI-e Power Cable for Mac G5 nVidia ATI Video Card - High Quality). I installed it in place of the stock video card 3 months ago. Overall, I have been very pleased with the performance. It is VERY quiet, making scarsely more noise than the other fans in the MacPro, even when used for graphics-intensive games. Graphics performance is hugely improved. For example, games like Diablo 3 and World of Tanks now very are playable on this 6-year-old machine. I just checked Amazon, and the video card now costs about $160 after rebate. In 3 months of use, I have noticed only two problems:

1. As noted in other posts, the start-up screen is not visible until the login screen appears. This could be a problem if you need any of the pre-login functions.

2. Occasionally, the screen stays dark when the MacPro wakes up from sleep mode. When this happens, I need to do a restart to get it working again. This has not been a big problem. You just need to be careful to save any documents before the MacPro goes into sleep mode.

Video Card upgrade for Early 2008 MacPro III

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.