Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iPod Classic 160gig in Windows 7. Is my iPod's hard drive dead?

We recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 as Microsoft no longer supports XP. My iTunes library transferred nicely and I was able to sync the iPod a couple of times. I imported a new CD into the iTunes Library and that is when the trouble began. I received the error -69 and it listed about a hundred songs that there were problems with files. I disconnected the iPod with the eject function as recommended in the iTunes library, exited iTunes and did a hard shutdown. When the computer rebooted again, I received the verify or continue message. I received an error with the verify. I shut the computer down again. I received the verify error again and ignored it by clicking the X to close the box. I was able to sync another 60 or so songs. I repeated this over again and was able to sync the remaining 30 or so songs. The total number of my songs were synched (or at least I think so). I purchased new music today. Now the iPod only syncs only so many songs. I have reformatted the iPod in Windows under the my computer and restored the iPod in iTunes, but to no avail. I followed the link about erasing your iPod from MethodShop, but it was not quite how it worked in Windows 7. My last sync froze the library at the 2500 song mark. I have 10,000 songs on my iPod. The library on the computer is all intact. Also I have an external hard drive attached to the computer that backs the entire computer up daily.

Apple Support says that it is the firewall on the computer. If that was the case, I don't think I would have been able to sync the iPod in the first place. I was told that it will cost me $19 for the Apple Support as my iPod is out of warranty. I have had it for about 2 years. I am not so sure about the information I received from Apple, as I read about other problems similar to mine. Also, I need help with the diagnostics thing. What statistics determine the iPod hard drive is dead. I am not computer literate.

Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards,

Dott

iPod classic, Windows 7, Connecting to iTunes, Error -69,

Posted on May 28, 2014 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2014 10:25 AM

the error is the songs so you want to use http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1210. itunes should not freeze so what is the diagnostics showing for the ipod? to go into diagnostics by https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3110831?answerId=15581281022#15581281022.

second thoughts: just because MS no longer support xp does not mean go buy another operating system. what it means is you need to have good antivirus and you cant contact MS for help if something does not work.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2014 10:25 AM in response to DottfromPA

the error is the songs so you want to use http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1210. itunes should not freeze so what is the diagnostics showing for the ipod? to go into diagnostics by https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3110831?answerId=15581281022#15581281022.

second thoughts: just because MS no longer support xp does not mean go buy another operating system. what it means is you need to have good antivirus and you cant contact MS for help if something does not work.

May 30, 2014 4:40 AM in response to kewl man

Thank you for helping me. Here are the diagnostics:

Retracts: 3

Reallocs: 8688

Pending Sectors: 4664

Power On Hours: 54

Start Stops: 8073

Temp Current: 31C

Temp Min: 14C

Temp Max: 52C

Looks like I am in trouble here. The specs in the Apple Store support Windows 7 with a 32 bit system? If I purchase a new iPod Classic 160Gb, will it be supported in Windows 7 with 64 bit system.

Again, thank you.

Dott

May 30, 2014 10:57 AM in response to kewl man

I have restored the iPod once again. I have used it more than what it is saying here. I used my iPod everyday at work for the past year (at least 4 to 5 hours a day) or so. Unfortunately, I am out of warranty. My husband purchased this for my birthday 2 years ago. Here is the latest of my iPod Saga.

When I plugged the iPod into iTunes, it did the whole verify process. iTunes locked up for a second at 1 of 74 songs, then started again. (My iTunes library has 10,158 songs in it). iTunest really wanted to perform the sync operation; however, chose to restore and I did the restore. The error message came up saying "The Restored iPod cannot be synched. The required file not found." I disconnected from my computer by unplugging the USB cable and ran the diagnostics.

Here are the diagnostics. The Reallocs and Pending Sectors increased and did not clear out. I never dropped the iPod and it was always kept in the house. I had it in a hard case in my pocket when I would go walking for an hour (never in the rain or extreme conditions).

I think it may be kaput. If it is, would the current iPod 160 Gb be supported by Windows 7, 64 bit system? I am almost afraid to download the latest iTunes update and have not done so. Should I?

Retracts: 3

Reallocs: 8840

Pending Sectors: 4704

Power On Hours: 54

Starts Stops: 8091

Temp Current: 28C

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Dott

May 30, 2014 12:16 PM in response to DottfromPA

it cleared mine out but I forgot I formated by windows. so you need to format the ipod then pending should be cleared out. the power on hours are still low considering you used it everyday. I have the 120GB running with windows 7 pro 64 bit and OS X 10.9. so you should be fine. updating itunes will not do anything unless you have an very old version.

May 30, 2014 6:55 PM in response to kewl man

Hi again,

I re-formatted the iPod in Windows 7 making sure the quick format was turned off. After I turned the quick format off, both Format Options were blank. I had the setting restore to default turned on. It took over an hour for the iPod to reformat. I ejected the iPod thru windows and did a hard shutdown. After rebooting, I downloaded the latest iTunes update as recommended in MethodShop. I restored the iPod once again. I tried to sync it, but iTunes was "frozen" around the 3000 song point. I felt it was going to fail from the get go as the whole synching process prior to the "freeze up" was moving very slowly with only 50 songs being copied per minute. Checked under "my computer" icon for the iPod after iTunes froze and when I clicked on the iPod the message was the "iPod not responding". I did an end task and ejected the iPod thru windows.

I checked the diagnostics after ejecting the iPod, they are as follows:

Retracts: 4

Reallocs: 16,376

Pending Sectors: 0

Power On Hours: 61

Start / Stops: 8126

Temp Current: 31C

The reformatting seemed to take care of the Pending Sectors. The Reallocs almost doubled. Is there a solution to this, or is my hard drive really dead. 😢 If I purchase a new iPod Classic 160 Gb, will I have this trouble? I am worried the new one will behave the same way even though it is new. Your help has been phenomenal!

Thank you for helping me.

Best Regards,

Dott

Jun 2, 2014 10:11 AM in response to kewl man

I am interested in obtaining an SD card, as I am sure it is cheaper than a new iPod. Where can I get one that would be suitable with the 160 gb. I know that your really only have 148 Gb to work with initially. I have about 75 Gb left before the HD went bad. I like adding new CDs and music from iTunes. Do they have a 160 Gb capacity?

If I opt to replace the HD, then where would I get one that works with the 160 Gb iPod.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards,

Dott

Syncing iPod Classic 160gig in Windows 7. Is my iPod's hard drive dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.