Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LCD broken but casing fine - warranty option?

So basically i closed my macbook pro retina (not very hard at all) and there must've been something in between when i closed it which caused my LCD to break - there is a point of impact. But whats surprising is the glass itself which covers the LCD - I cant feel a single scuff or scratch.

Would I be able to get a replacement under apple care? There's no physical sight of trauma except to underneath to the LCD screen.

Posted on May 28, 2014 12:50 PM

9 replies

May 28, 2014 12:55 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I'll try to describe it again:

The lcd has a sigh of impact causing there to be rainbow horizontal lines to occur around the site of impact covering the whole screen and there are lines going horizontal from site of impact kind of like a spider. But when i run my nail over the lines and even over the site of impact (which is maybe 1 mm diameter) nothing is felt.

May 28, 2014 1:05 PM in response to Abrargani

The issue that you face is, is the damage is covered or not covered by the warranty. No matter what I or anyone here may say will have no bearing. That decision will be made by an Apple technician or their representative.

If it is viewed as a manufacturing defect, then any repairs will be at no cost to you. If it is viewed as user induced damage, then repair costs will be borne by you.

Ciao.

May 28, 2014 1:10 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

hey man, take it easy lol

I understand i need to go to apple store. I am just posting on here to see if someone else has similar experience. I would expect the glass itself to handle a certain amount of pressure and protect the LCD as such - not just back out of it and let the LCD take the blow - it's almost like teh screen is saying look its not my beef yo im out, at the end of the day it's a macbook its not a fine piece of jewellery that should be handled with extreme caution.

May 28, 2014 1:22 PM in response to Abrargani

Abrargani wrote:

hey man, take it easy lol

Do not misunderstand, I am just being very matter of fact here and not berating you in any way. I cannot raise your hopes nor do I wish to dash them.

From my perspective, the MBP has to be evaluated 'in the flesh'. Descriptions and even pictures cannot fully tell the whole story. Each situation is unique.

All I can do is wish for you the best outcome. 🙂

Ciao.

Dec 13, 2015 10:29 AM in response to mpmcintosh

This exact same thing happened to me I used the macbook at 7am in the morning, it sat on my couch without anyone home or in contact with it. I came back to it 2.5 hours later, opened it to find the lcd broken and 1/5 of my screen black with lines running thorugh it and with what looks like 2 hairline cracks in the bottom left corner in an area that is impossible to come in contact with from dropping or anything other than jabbing with a stick...or something absurd!

It wasn't shut aggressively, in contact with anything or anything wedged between it, nor did anyone come in contact with it, i.e. no source of impact.

I jwaited a week to get in to see someone for an appointment at the Genius Bar to be told this is accidental damage and not covered by the warranty or Apple Care. The macbook is a refurbished product, purchased through the apple website and I have had it for 5 months. I am beyond unhappy with this entire experience. I am expected to pay out of pocket for repairs, which cost 1/3 of waht I paid for the item 5 months ago new. I am only led to assume the product was defective when purchased. My other macbooks have lived long lives of up to 5 years this is the first time I have experienced such a disappointment with regards to apple customer service.

Dec 13, 2015 10:32 AM in response to NatashaNin

Oh and there are 2 additional lines now running horizontally across my screen now and a big black blotch and increased crack line from the technician pressing down on the screen and examining the so called "point of impact". Not only am I left dumb-founded with the huge bill I am being asked to incur to for this supposed "Accidental Damage" for an accident that did not occur but my screen has also further damaged upon examination from the consultation at the Genius Bar!

LCD broken but casing fine - warranty option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.