Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issues with Logic Pro 8 upon upgrading to Mavericks.

My biggest issues is that the editor screen gets sweeped into pitch black as I hit play. It disappears when I start clicking around other areas but it sure is annoying and it's not supposed to happen. I was wondering if this has happened to somebody else?

I also can't seem to connect my Addictive drums however the free version of Addictive keys is available as a plug in.

My key commands are not the way they used to be and I can't seem to manage them through the preferences.

If anything, these are some of the issues that started upon upgrading my iOS to Mavericks so you should watch out. It feels like what everone is saying about Logic forcing people to upgrade to version 9 must be true. These are not bugs that can be an oversight for enterprise level companies.

Logic Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 28, 2014 3:01 PM

19 replies

May 28, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Yakup Trana

Yes, it is a well known symptom (black screen) as Logic 8 and Mavericks are not compatible.

You have a couple of choices...Move back to an older operating system, try and find a legal (full Install) version of Logic-9 as it's no longer being sold or upgraded by Apple. Last but not least, purchase the latest Logic-X version.

If you do happen to find a Logic-9 version for sale, it has to be upgraded to the last 9.1.8 release.

You can call Apple and complain, unfortunately, it won't do any good.

May 28, 2014 6:17 PM in response to Yakup Trana

Logic Pro 8 is more than 5 years old. Way, way, way before Mavericks. I am pretty sure that nobody at Apple looked at such an outdated product in the context of Mavericks.

Logic Pro 9, which was released pretty much exactly 5 years ago, does work fine. I think it is very reasonable to assume that software as old as Logic Pro 8, which is 2 generations behind the current one, don't work on the latest version of OS X.

May 28, 2014 9:13 PM in response to Blueberry

Also, for the technically minded.. if i understand correctly...

Logic Pro 8 was the first version of Logic that used a combination of both the new (at that time) Cocoa libraries and coding and the older Carbon coding/libraries...

Logic Pro 9.0 removed almost but not quite all the Carbon coding and dependency on Carbon Libraries..

Logic Pro 9.1 removed support for PPC Macs...

...and Logic Pro v9.1.8 removed the final bits of carbon coding....

This may well be why only Logic Pro 9.1.8 works correctly with Mavericks... Earlier versions of Logic Pro 9 have issues running under Mavericks.

LPX uses no Carbon Libraries or coding... and no longer runs in 32bit Mode nor supoorts 32bit AU Plugins..

Time and technology move on...... and you cannot expect modern OS versions to continue support for software that was originally release 7 years ago and contained many, now long gone and very outdated.. software technologies... that provide no access to modern hardware.

Jun 25, 2014 7:10 PM in response to DJ Spin Cycle

DJ Spin Cycle,

That's all fine and good but once you have LP8 installed...

Under Mavericks there is a large graphical anomaly with the Arrange window that prevents proper use of LP8 due to a large black area appearing.. 'corrupting' the main screen...There is no known workaround for this and frankly I don't expect this issue to be fixed by the Logic Dev team as LP8 is no longer supported.

This issue has nothing to do with Rosetta...... or PPC... so while you are correct on how to achieve an install of LP8 on a Mavericks system.. its really a waste of time due to this 'black area' issue nowadays.

Jun 25, 2014 7:29 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Yes, u're rite. What if it is as simple as taking a chunk of code from Logic Pro X and installing it on the command line for Logic 8? Before you or anyone says no, this won't be the first time someone took a section of code to use in a old program. Remember, we're American and lazy, as much as things are different, I highly doubt, the "fit" for the transport screen is all so different. In addition, I really think it is possible to augment the OS to accommodate this situation. So lets work on finding those in our greater community that can do just that.

Jun 25, 2014 7:44 PM in response to DJ Spin Cycle

Remember, we're American

Errr... well, we're not.. You may be.. but I'm not an American..... I'm from the other side of the pond... 🙂

..and while I understand the point you are trying to make.. it probably isn't worth the effort in reality.. The LP8 user base is so small these days....and too much has and is changing in both LPX and more importantly OS X.... to make any such fix practical and stable over time.

But if anyone wishes to take the time to fully investigate this issue properly and work on some kind of 'User Fix' then power to them!

Cheers..

Nigel

Jun 26, 2014 4:54 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Logic 8 suffers from the same "bug" as does Final Cut Studio 2 (and FCE 3.5) in attempts to install it into Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks, which incorrectly result in the "PowerPC" dialog error box.

I would NEVER recommend to anyone that they attempt to install Rosetta into any version of OS X after Snow Leopard! Anecdotal reports indicate that later crashes, freezes, kernel panics, etc. are related to corruption to system files caused by the continuing presence of Rosetta in Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks.

The best approach to installation is to use Pacifist ( http://www.charlessoft.com/ ) for this purpose.

There may also be an approach to using Terminal, as spelled out by Jeremy Johnstone in his blogpost about the installation of FCS2 in these flavors of OS X:

http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog/2012-03-11-installing-final-cut-pro-studio-2 -0-on-mac-os-x-10-7-lion.html

That all being said: I am aware of the anecdotal reports of problems using Logic 8 in Mavericks, which may well render its installation moot to begin with.

Feb 15, 2015 8:02 AM in response to Blueberry

In the logicuser.de forum a member runs an iMac and a Mini via thunderbolt to FW800 adapter + FW800 to FW400 cable with a Presonus Firepod and Logic 9.

Do I get it right, that the following things go together?

Mac OS X 10.8 + Logic 8

Mac OS X 10.8 + Logic 9.0 and 9.1 with some restrictions (a few greyed out buttons)

Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" + 9.1.8

Mac OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" + Logig X

Apr 8, 2015 6:53 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

I am currently stuck running Logic Pro 8.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (on a 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro.) There are a few files in Logic I need to preserve and access, but these two operating systems are getting old, and have been hogtying each other, each unable to upgrade for the other. There is trouble brewing elsewhere on the machine due to the outdated Mac OS, and I would like to upgrade, but do not want to lose access to the files in Logic 8. How to upgrade both the Mac OS and Logic to current (or newer) versions? What would be the proper sequence, and the most intelligent versions to enter the 21st century with, sans major snafus from bugs yet to be worked out?

Apr 8, 2015 9:38 PM in response to broadwing1

Broadwing1,

You have a few issues to contend with I'm afraid to say...

1) In regards to Logic Pro.. You can upgrade to Logic Pro 9 but only via the DVD Upgrade version which you will have to find used, on eBay or somewhere similar...Otherwise it has to be LPX via the Mac App Store... as LP9 is not longer sold by Apple.

2) As far as OS X is concerned.. Your choices are Mountain Lion on DVD frmk Apple.. or Yosemite via the Mac App Store as I wouldn't recommend Lion at all.. and Mavericks is no longer available...

Personally my main working setup is still a 2011iMac 3.4Ghz 32GB RAM AMD 2GB running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9.1.5 though 9.1.8 will work too.. I just don't find it performs quite as well as the earlier update... I keep that combo just for music.. on the internal system drive.. and I boot to an external HD containing Yosemite 10.10.3 for everything else.. Its not as convenient but well worth it given music is my main priority..

I have several testbed setups here running different combos of OS and Logic and currently I have just bought a 2015 Mac Pro which has to run Yosemite and therefore I am running LPX 10.1.1 on that too as the performance of LP9 under Yosemite is somewhat unstable.. but as i said earleir.. my main working rig is still SL and LP9

So, what would I do in your circumstances?

I'd probably grab a copy of the DVD version of Logic Studio 2.0 (LP9) upgrade it to 9.1.5 or 9.1.8 and stick with that.. using a second external drive with Yosemite if you need access to the latest OS X features.. in a non audio work sense

Alternatively, if you really need to upgrade to Yosemite because of other audio software/plugins needing it as a min requirement then I'd upgrade the main drive to Yosemite and LPX... but keep an external HD with SL and LP8 or 9.. which ever you wish.. to fall back on and for much more reliable opening of older projects that used 32bit plugins as LPX doesn't support them any longer.

However, you will probably notice quite a drop in overall overall performance of both Logic Pro X and OS X for that matter... due to the extra demands Yosemite makes on the hardware.. and your MBP is one of those macs that may not have the real horsepower to run LPX and Yosemite as fast as you are used to with SL and LP8. It will work.. but don't expect the track count for example, to be anywhere as high as was possible with the earlier OS X& Logic combination.

As a further tip.. If you decide to upgrade to LPX.... make sure you take the time to save out your LP8 projects as individual track audio stems if you wish to continue to edit them on at least a basic level with LPX... Again, this is because of the issues with the non support of 32bit plugins in LPX and the instability of LPX's import routines when it comes to bringing LP8 projects into LPX

Note: LP9 never had any issues using LP8 projects because the format was the same unlike LPX, who's project format is very different and once you export an earlier project to LPX format for further editing and work for example.... you cannot load that edited LPX project back into LP8 or LP9 for that matter..

Hope this helps a little...

Bear in mind this is just a personal opinion and others may differ 🙂

Finally as the old saying goes.. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" can often apply in such situations...

issues with Logic Pro 8 upon upgrading to Mavericks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.