Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer music from my iPod to my computer which was not purchased on iTunes?

I just downloaded iTunes Match to my MacBook Air. Now, how do I transfer music from my iPod to my Mac which I did not purchase on iTunes? When I downloaded iTunes Match, it did its thing, but none of the music that I burned from CDs showed up on my Mac. Is there something else I should do? (I still have my old computer with my entire iTunes library on it, but I haven't used in in a while. Should I do something with that, as well?)

Thanks!

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 28, 2014 5:22 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2014 8:47 PM in response to mayday1711

You don't specify what model of iPod you have so I can only guess it is an iOS iPod, such as an iPod Touch. An iOS device is not designed as a general storage or backup device. It is designed as a playback device only and syncing is one way: iTunes to device (except in the case of iTunes Store purchases).

If you have music on the device is that is not also in your iTunes library do NOT enable iTM on the device. The music not in the iTunes library will be removed from the device and if you do not have it backed up somewhere it will be gone.

You say you have the iTunes library still existing on an older computer. I strongly recommend you copy the music from that computer to the newer one and add the "missing" music to the iTunes library and let iTunes Match scan it. That is the best way to accomplish what you want to do.

FYI, there is nothing to "download" for iTunes Match. It is a sevice that is activated or deactivated; you do not "burn from" CDs to your iTunes library you either "import" or "rip."

May 29, 2014 10:32 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

And also, I'd just like to add, since I ended up figuring everything out on my own, that,

1) I did indeed specify what model my iPod is, as you can plainly see. I even specified which iOS I’m operating on.

2) I’m sorry I’m not nearly as technologically savvy as you (which is something you’re clearly proud of) and that my lingo is not perfect, but your sass and arrogance is totally unnecessary, despite your apparent belief otherwise.

3) You used that semicolon incorrectly.

4) You didn’t actually answer my question, so you’re really not as cool as you think you are.

Now, Michael Allbritton, why don’t you go back to staring at lines of code and playing Minecraft in your parents’ basement alone while snacking on cheese puffs and sipping Keystone Light, eh?

May 30, 2014 3:12 AM in response to mayday1711

mayday1711 wrote:

1) I did indeed specify what model my iPod is, as you can plainly see. I even specified which iOS I’m operating on.

True. My mistake. I didn't see it.

mayday1711 wrote:

4) You didn’t actually answer my question, so you’re really not as cool as you think you are.

Also, true. In my haste I forget to put in the links that might have helped. Nobody is perfect:

Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

mayday1711 wrote:

Now, Michael Allbritton, why don’t you go back to staring at lines of code and playing Minecraft in your parents’ basement alone while snacking on cheese puffs and sipping Keystone Light, eh?

I'm actually currently serving in the Peace Corps in the Eastern European country of the Republic of Georgia, so I'm not always able to get back to posts as quickly as I would like. So I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out by searching the support communities. But as I tell my students (who are learning English as a second language) pronouncing and using words correctly is important to them being understood by native English speakers. The same goes for technology terms. If the correct terms aren't used (for example "import" and "rip") then misunderstandings can occur and it can take longer to get your problem solved.

How do I transfer music from my iPod to my computer which was not purchased on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.