Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to set up a remote speaker and cannot find the AirPlay button on my iTunes

I am trying to set up a remote speaker and cannot find the AirPlay button on my iTunes.

Can anyone help here please?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 28, 2014 6:25 PM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2014 8:47 AM in response to marchart3

Hi marchart3,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

The Airplay icon should appear to the right of the volume slider, as shown in the first article below. If the icon isn't there take a look at the second article, it has some tips that should help resolve that issue.

iTunes: About playing music with AirPlay

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4325

User uploaded file

iTunes: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5209

Symptoms

• AirPlay icon User uploaded fileUser uploaded file doesn't appear in iTunes.
  • AirPlay-enabled devices don’t appear in the AirPlay selector window.
  • There are performance issues while using AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring.

Resolution

Try these steps first:

1. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes.
    • iTunes for Mac: Choose iTunes > Check for Updates
    • iTunes for Windows: Choose Help > Check for Updates
  2. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices' software is up to date.
  3. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices are connected to the same home network.
    Note: Some Wi-Fi network configurations offer a guest network that can block certain Internet services from working or seeing other devices on your home network.

If the AirPlay icon doesn’t appear in iTunes

Ensure that you followed these steps to use AirPlay in iTunes. If the AirPlay icon still doesn't appear, try one of the following steps:
  • If you want to AirPlay to an Apple TV, ensure that AirPlay is enabled on the Apple TV. From the Apple TV main menu, go to Settings > AirPlay. This should be set to On.
  • If you want to AirPlay to an Airport Express, ensure that AirPlay is enabled in the device settings.
  • If you want to AirPlay to a 3rd party AirPlay-enabled device, refer to the user guide.

Troubleshooting performance issues

Wi-Fi Connection

If you are experiencing intermittent playback or significant network lag with AirPlay, it could be due to a weak Wi-Fi connection, interference, or the distance between the Wi-Fi router and your AirPlay-enabled device.
  • Ensure that other devices aren't trying to stream to the same Apple TV at the same time.
  • Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is set up with the recommended settings for the best performance.
  • Certain external devices, such as microwave ovens and baby monitors, may interfere with a Wi-Fi network. Try moving or disabling these devices.
  • If your wireless and wired networks are the same, try connecting your Apple TV to the router via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
  • Use the Wi-Fi network troubleshooting guide to resolve interference and other issues.

Ethernet Connection

Temporarily disable firewalls (both network and local) and security software. Security software and firewalls may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.

Additional Information

Learn more about troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring.

Good luck!

-Jason

I am trying to set up a remote speaker and cannot find the AirPlay button on my iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.