Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water damaged Iphone stuck in recovery mode

basically my iphone went through the washer so then I immediately wiped it down and then wrapped it up in a towel and placed it into an airing cupboard for around 2 days then finally decided to give it a try, to my amazement I plugged the iphone 5 into my laptop with itunes open and it turned on and the touch screen worked fine. However, the screen was clearly still had water in as you could see from looking at it so I thought the best idea would be to turn it off and place it back for another 24 hours. 24 hours later and I then went to plug it in once more and the logo kept showing so as I was clicking away on the home button i stupidly put the phone into recovery mode which at the time didn't seem bad as i knew all I'd have to do is restore it which i tried but unfortunately the iphone restores to a halfway point where i then receive a message stating error(3) and it is stuck in recovery mode and my lock/power button doesn't work so i cannot even make it go back to normal as many videos showed on youtube. any advice?!?!?!?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 28, 2014 7:25 PM

17 replies

May 29, 2014 9:56 AM in response to gdgmacguy

I was thinking of getting the power button fixed and then I could try and get it out of recovery mode by holding both down and get it back onto my homescreen which by the way wasnt 'toast' as my apps, touch screen ect was working fine before putting it into recovery mode. The problem I have now is it just shows the plug into itunes and i cannot get it back to normal due to my lock button not working way before the washing machine accident.

May 29, 2014 3:46 PM in response to ML1996

From another thread, here are some things that could cause that error:

"Possible causes:

1. Your antivirus is blocking access to gs.apple.com.

2. Your phone is jailbroken.

3. Your computer has been used at some time in the past to jaibreak some iOS device (not necessarily the phone with the problem), and its network database was corrupted by the hacking software that was used.

4. Apple's activation servers are down (very rare, and never for more than an hour or so).

For 1. try disabling your antivirus.

For 2. & 3. you need to go somewhere other than an apple forum for help. Although you can try deleting lines containing gs.apple.com from your "hosts" file on your computer."

~Lyssa

Water damaged Iphone stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.