Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the point in buying a new MacBook?

Hi all,

Recently I went with my iBook G4 to the Apple store to troubleshoot a small problem, but they were unable to help me as after only 7 years, the machine was rendered obsolete and they didn't feel obliged to help. My iBook recently died and I felt like a part of me was missing.

So my question is, what is the point of buying myself a brand new MacBook Pro if in 5 or 6 years, it will be obsolete? I want a Mac that will last me wherever I go for a long time before it finally dies. I've realized that I need to put PowerPC computers out of the question, but will intel processer Macs last longer than PowerPC processors?

For the record, I don't want to switch to Microsoft as I find them difficult and this isn't a crack at Apple.

Any answers are very appreciated,

Thomas.

Posted on May 29, 2014 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2014 2:34 AM

With Intel based Macs the hardware will not become obsolete as fast as PPC based Macs did, but the operating system and/or applications used might.

That does not mean that it will stop working, just that you won't, in a few years' time, be able to get the latest bells and whistles.

Officially, support from Apple ceases after seven years - but that does not stop the Macs working!

Vintage and obsolete Apple products:

Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products. These include ALL G4 and G5 models.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2014 2:34 AM in response to Tomtabibook105

With Intel based Macs the hardware will not become obsolete as fast as PPC based Macs did, but the operating system and/or applications used might.

That does not mean that it will stop working, just that you won't, in a few years' time, be able to get the latest bells and whistles.

Officially, support from Apple ceases after seven years - but that does not stop the Macs working!

Vintage and obsolete Apple products:

Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products. These include ALL G4 and G5 models.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US

What's the point in buying a new MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.