You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My HannsG monitor will not display when I connect it to a mac-mini.

My HannsG 223 monitor will not display when I connect it to a mac-mini via a thunderbolt to DVI cable. It will display when I connect it to a macbook pro via a DVI to DVI cable. Is the cable at fault or the combination of hardware?

Mac mini

Posted on May 29, 2014 3:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 29, 2014 4:13 AM

Are you using the same DVI cable for both computers?

Does the Mini Display port to DVI adopter work for other monitors?

Try resetting the NVRAM and SMC

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

10 replies

May 30, 2014 12:37 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the reply. The HannsG is used as an extra monitor and it is the only one I have. The mac-mini is normally connected to a Samsung TV via an HDMI to HDMI cable. I sometimes connect the HannsG to my macbook pro as a mirror monitor via a DVI to DVI cable. In both cases the monitor works well.

When I try to connect the monitor to the mac-mini via an HDMI to DVI cable or a Thunderbolt to DVI cable no image is shown and the monitor goes to sleep.

The same goes for the HDMI to DVI adapter using the same DVI to DVI cable for the macbook pro.

If I connect the monitor to the mac-mini via a Thunderbolt to VGA cable then the monitor works. So it was suggested that it is the DVI socket that does not work. But the DVI socket does work when connected to the mac-book pro.

I will look into links you have suggested. Thanks again.

Jun 1, 2014 8:36 AM in response to DannyHly

The latest model Mac Mini is a 2012 and the Thunderbolt port only supports true Digital output.

I'm not an expert in this area, but it looks like that monitor might have a DVI-I input (which supports both Analog and Digital) instead of DVI-D (which supports only Digital).

see > DVI-D vs. DVI-I: Is the digital video quality any different? - Super User

I'm wondering if the monitor is actuallly using the Analog siginal in the DVI-I cable when it is connected to your MacBook Pro..?

I would look at the monitor menu and see if there is a way to switch the input from Analog to Digital, when it is connected to the Mac Mini.

If not, then you may need to test the Mac Mini with a different DVI monitor as IIIaass suggest's or take it to your local AASP for testing.

Jun 2, 2014 3:45 AM in response to den.thed

den.thed. I've just connected my mac-book pro to the monitor via a DVI-D cable rather than the DVI-I cable I normally use and you are correct, the monitor is using the analogue signal only. Thank you. That casts a completely different light on things as I've been working to an incorrect assumption. Will now re-look into the monitor rather than the mac-mini as I doubt very much there's anything wrong with the mac-mini.

Aug 3, 2014 3:23 PM in response to den.thed

Very helpful. I have the Hanns-G HL269DPB. I don't see anything in the menus about switching the way the DVI port reads input. I am using with a Belkin Flip and have a Dell laptop connected via VGA. I was hoping the Hanns' input auto-detect would switch the monitor input (that only works when switching from the Dell, because the DVI signal is "always on"). Anyway, looks like I'll have to connect the Mini via VGA.😟

Well wait... the specs say this monitor is DVI-D, and that's what the Mini's HDMI --> DVI adapter converts to. I'm confused.

Feb 25, 2016 6:26 AM in response to DannyHly

I have the HANNS-G Hi221D monitor. I have a display port to VGA cable, and a HDMI to DVI cable. The HANNS has vie and dvi support but I need the vga for another monitor so I use the DVI. The only issue is that when turning on the monitor its display goes static (like tube tv) for a few minutes before switching to the actual computer screen! VGA does not do this. I cant find settings on how to make it auto go to Digital, i can switch from analogue to digital in settings but it resets every time the monitor sleeps! If I unplug the hdmi from macbook and plug it back in it quickly the picture is displayed fine. Anybody know how to reset this monitor? or any way to force it to digital all the time? My macbook that I'm using is pro retina late 2013, and as I understand hdmi is always digital?

many thanks

My HannsG monitor will not display when I connect it to a mac-mini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.