Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad iOS 7 memory leak issue

Hi All,

It's a bit of a strange issue this and I am seeing it occur on two different devices - one a 1st Gen iPad Mini 32Gb running 7.1.1, and the other an iPad 2 also running 7.1.1

The issue manifests itself as the device throwing up a popup saying 'Storage Almost Full'.

So checking 'Settings/General/About' shows there's 0Gb Available. That explains the message. However, it doesn't explain why there's no space. I'll elaborate...

If you go into Settings/General/Usage, the 'Storage' shows as 0Gb available. However, there is no music on either device, and neither are there any videos. I deleted them the first time this issue occured. If you total up the column showing the individual apps, it comes to around 8Gb. So that means there's 24Gb being used by 'something' that isn't showing.

So here's the wierd bit (and it happens on both devices). If I hard reboot them (home key + sleep/wake button together till the Apple logo appears), the Apple logo comes on and sits there for a good 5-6 minutes. Ultimately the devices do eventually boot, but they're sluggish in the initial few minutes of use. Putting in the unlock code there is a noticeable lag in response.

Then eventually they settle down and start working. Checking the 'Settings/General/About' now shows 20Gb Available, as does the 'Storage' part of the 'Usage' page. But over time (and not much use - the iPad 2 just sleeps 90% of the time as it has been relegated in favour of a Nexus 7 just for the moment) and in a time period of around a week or so, the issue recurrs. The iPad mini also does it (it's mainly used to play Minecraft by my youngest daughter) in a similar time period.

My theory is that this is, in essence, a BSD UNIX Darwin kernel machine underneath, and as such, something loaded by the iPad as a background process (possibly an App we've both got installed) is using virtual memory to fill up the free space on the storage device. Once I do a reboot, a cleanup process as part of the startup process clears this down and frees up the space. But ultimately it slowly but surely fills up again.

I've also seen it clear down huge amounts of space when deleting apps. I seem to remember deleting one app which was around 10Mb and it freed up 10Gb. Not all at once - it was again an obvious background process that was running that was clearing down items - but repeatedly checking the usage stats on the device you could see the free space rising incrementally over a period of around 15 minutes when it had finished it's processing and became stable.

So my question is this - without Jailbreaking the device, is there any way (like you can with Android 4.4 and Windows Phone 8.1) of enumerating which applications are using up CPU and Memory, including virtual memory? Apple's 'closed ecosystem' approach is good when the apps behave themselves, but I patently have an app somewhere that doesn't behave, and I need to track it down, and thus need to work out which apps are using the CPU cycles.

I noticed that there are logfiles on the device that sends information back to Apple about fairly detailed application statistics (the device obviously collects the same 'CPU/Memory/Virtual Memory/Battery' stats that Android et. al. does, but doesn't report them to the user' so the other option would be does anyone know any packages that parse these logfiles to give you some information about what your device is doing?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 6

Posted on May 29, 2014 6:21 AM

8 replies

Jun 1, 2014 2:29 PM in response to Mark Wayt

Also for commonalities sake, here's a list of the third-party apps installed on the mini. Small list:

Google maps

Dictionary

WATCH ABC

Netflix

Plex

EyeTV

1Password

The weather Channel

Nest

Hi-Def Radar

Kindle

TiVo

Check the Weather

Twitter

Fwiw she looks at a loooooooot of Buzzfeed (and inherently with that GIFs)

iTunes Match is also on - I just turned that off to see if it's related...

Jun 22, 2014 4:17 AM in response to jefisher

Hi,

Same issue on both my iPhone (iOS 6) and iPad (7.1.1).

From your list above here are the apps the I also have installed on both devices (should help to narrow it down):

itunes Match

google maps

plex

twitter

Could this be an ITunes Match issue? I have a large iTunes collection, but the issue appears even if I don't launch the music app. Have you noticed an improvement after turning Match off?

Aug 31, 2015 10:05 AM in response to Mark Wayt

I'm having an even worse issue. Since I installed the latest version of iOS 8 I have had to completely restore my iPad in order to fix numerous iOS 8 issues. Much to my surprise I suddenly had 15 gig more space on my 32 gig iPad Air. Then, as each day went by, about 200 meg of storage would disappear till it got down to around 2 gig.

Then I did another restore for the heck of it and I suddenly had 15 gig free again and the process started all over again, even though I was not saving any new files to the iPad! It's amazing how structurally inefficient the iPad is. I'm quite puzzled by this and cannot find an answer. Are these temp files that need to be deleted?

iPad iOS 7 memory leak issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.