Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating iPhoto 8.1.2

Hello fellow Mac users. I am having a lot of trouble updating my iPhoto and need some advice. I have a MacBook Pro from 2009 running OSX 10.6.8. It came with iLife and iPhoto 8.1.2. A few months ago the Places feature in iPhoto stopped working and I can no longer search for new locations to tag my photos. I tried to update iPhoto but it seems iPhoto 9 is not available for download on the Apple website. There are later versions, which I tried to download, but you can't run those without updating to iPhoto 9 first. Does anyone know how I can obtain a copy of iPhoto 9, legally if possible? Failing that, any advice to get the Places feature working again? I do know that I can't run the very latest versions of iPhoto without updating my OS, which I plan to do eventually. Any advice greatly appreciated as the Places feature was my favourite part of iPhoto. Thank you 🙂

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 29, 2014 1:30 PM

5 replies

Nov 11, 2017 5:42 PM in response to chien andalou

I have MacBook Pro, late 2008, OS 10.7.5. iPhoto '09 V.8.12 needs to be upgraded to V.9.2 so I can backup to iCloud.

I spent 1.5 hours on Apple chat, and finally they recommended a url to iPhoto9.2.1Update.pkg. Sounded great, BUT it requires iPhoto 9.1.0 to load into your Mac.

So it appears there is no upgrade path from iPhoto '09 V.8.12 to V.9.2 .

Phil Joujon-Roche

Nov 11, 2017 11:53 PM in response to Bigphil32

So it appears there is no upgrade path from iPhoto '09 V.8.12 to V.9.2 .

Correct.

To go from iPhoto v8 to iPhoto v9 (that's from iLIfe 09 to iLife 11) requires a purchase. But iPhoto is not longer developed or sold, and hasn't been in more than two and a half years.

Also, no version of iPhoto could "back up to iCloud", so I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

May 29, 2014 1:38 PM in response to chien andalou

iPhoto 9

Are you asking about iPhoto 9.x.y, as part of the iLife '11 bundle, or iPhoto '09, as part of iLIfe '09?

Assuming, you wat to upgrade to the most current version, you canbuy iPhoto '11, version 9.x.y, y buying the boxed reatail version if iLife '11 from Amazon. This will install an early iPhoto '11 version, that you can update from the Downloads support page.

Updating iPhoto 8.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.