Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a defender security system and an Airport Extreme. How do I set up Network Sharing and Port forwarding with these?

I have an Airport Extreme along with a Defender security camera system. I have been working with the two to try and set up remote viewing with no luck.

I keep seeing people mentioning port forwarding, but I try to enter those in the airport utility to no avail. The services don't seem to pop up anyway.

Anyone know how I can set up port forwarding with the airport extreme and allow this system to work with remote view? Thanks.

Posted on May 29, 2014 2:38 PM

9 replies

May 29, 2014 9:22 PM in response to Jweeks123

To start do you have any issues with the system on our local network? That is, can you monitor the cameras while connected to the local network?

Does this security camera system use IP cameras? That is, do you access a camera via an IP address?

Does the manufacturer provide detailed instructions on which ports are required to access these cameras from a remote location? If so, what are they? They would be listed a either or both UDP or TCP ports.

Is your AirPort Extreme the only router in your current network configuration? ... or is it connected to another router upstream of it? Regardless, what is the exact model of your Extreme and the Internet modem that it is directly connected to?

Finally what Operating System is the computer running that you are using to administer the Extreme with?

May 30, 2014 1:35 AM in response to Tesserax

If I am connected to my own network I can get it to display. I could do it with both a static IP on the DVR to the system, as well as DHCP. Though the minute I try from another network, it no longer works.

The system does use IP cameras in a sense. The cameras are all wired into the DVR which in turn is a sort of Hub for all the cameras.

The manufacturer provides instructions but they don't seem to be helping. They keep mentioning that I have to use port forwarding. The DVR has 3 ports mentioned: 18004, 5000, and 9000. I have set them all up to be port forwarded in the menu of the airport extreme according the apple's tech help desk. The same page with DHCP reservation menu. Those ports don't seem to be forwarding though. I have checked with several tools as well to see if the ports are open to no avail.

The modem is a Motorola Surfboard, model: SB6121

The exact model of the Airport Extreme is: ME918LL/A

Firmware is 7.7.3

My ISP is Time Warner and as far as I have been informed, they do not block any ports.

The Airport Extreme is the only router on my network as well.

I'm running OSX Mavericks on my MacBook Pro to administrate the router.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

May 30, 2014 9:11 AM in response to Jweeks123

The manufacturer provides instructions but they don't seem to be helping. They keep mentioning that I have to use port forwarding. The DVR has 3 ports mentioned: 18004, 5000, and 9000. I have set them all up to be port forwarded in the menu of the airport extreme according the apple's tech help desk. The same page with DHCP reservation menu. Those ports don't seem to be forwarding though. I have checked with several tools as well to see if the ports are open to no avail.

The key is that your AirPort Extreme must be reachable from the Internet. That means your ISP must provide you with either a static or dynamic Public WAN-side IP address and not one from their own private pools.

A way to verify this is to temporarily place the DVR in a DMZ instead of using port mapping. This would open all ports to the DVR. If the DVR is still not reachable then you will need to discuss this with your ISP. Apple calls the DMZ a "default host." You will find this option under Network Options on the Network tab of the AirPort Utility.

May 30, 2014 11:08 AM in response to Tesserax

According to the ISP, I asked about the IP and all. Basically they said that I have a dynamic IP address. They said that I should be able to access my network away from my home with that IP address as well. They also stated that I couldn't use port forwarding with the modem that I had right now. Granted this modem I purchased myself and I think that she was trying to get me to go buy their "gateway" setup which just *****, but that's another story. Anyway, it's my understanding that port forwarding is with the router, not the modem. Am i correct in thinking that?

I also tried the DMZ default host optiion on my router as well. When I clicked the option it entered the IP of 10.0.1.253. I checked the port 5000 after I tried that as well and it still stated that it was closed.

Am I Missing something? Or does this mean that I won't be able to access my DVR away from my home network?

Thanks again.

May 30, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Jweeks123

They also stated that I couldn't use port forwarding with the modem that I had right now.

That is correct. This modem, since it does not have a firewall, cannot be configured for port mapping.

Granted this modem I purchased myself

Shouldn't be a problem unless your ISP does not support this modem and it looks like they already do.

Anyway, it's my understanding that port forwarding is with the router, not the modem. Am i correct in thinking that?

That is correct.

I also tried the DMZ default host optiion on my router as well. When I clicked the option it entered the IP of 10.0.1.253. I checked the port 5000 after I tried that as well and it still stated that it was closed.

If that is the correct private IP address of the DVR then that is the correct address to put in the default host field in the AirPort Utility.

However, when you are attempting to access the DVR from the Internet on port 5000, you would enter the Public IP address of the router, not the private IP address of the DVR. For example, if you are accessing the web-based administration of the DVR, you would enter something like: http://123.456.789.123:5000, NOT http://10.0.1.253:5000.

May 30, 2014 1:28 PM in response to Tesserax

Okay, so when using default host I would enter the IP address of the DVR which is 10.0.1.201, and it is set as static to stay that way. So I would enter 10.0.1.201 into the field, correct?

If this is the case I did try it and still no dice just yet.

I know I shouldn't post my actual IP addresses on a public forum so I'll post variants to see if this helps explain things. I know I'm probably being hard headed but there's osmehting I'm just not getting yet.

IP: 75.142.198.222

DVR IP: 10.0.1.201 - this is actual

Router IP: 75.142.198.1

May 30, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Jweeks123

Okay, so when using default host I would enter the IP address of the DVR which is 10.0.1.201, and it is set as static to stay that way. So I would enter 10.0.1.201 into the field, correct?

Yes, that is correct. For either setting up a default host or for port mapping you want to enter the local IP address of the host device. Entering this address in the default host field would open all the router's firewall ports to only this device, leaving it completely exposed to the Internet.

Using your "variant" addresses, when at a remote location, you should be able to access this DVR's web-page, by entering: http://75.142.198.222 in a web browser.

I have a defender security system and an Airport Extreme. How do I set up Network Sharing and Port forwarding with these?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.