Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reallocate VPP Licences

My school has purchased licences for several iPad apps, I allocated them to the ipads without issue using Apple Configurator, however I have since erased and restored all of the ipads completely (had a computer issue and am now using a different mac) and I I need to reallocate the licences to the ipads, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 29, 2014 4:36 PM

1 reply

May 30, 2014 11:17 AM in response to RGriffo

Hi RGriffo,

Unfortunately, you won't be able to reclaim your VPP codes unless you have a backup of your original Apple Configurator database. Did you use TimeMachine to back up the computer?

From Apple's website:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5188?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The database in which Apple Configurator records the use of redemption codes is your only record of the valid use of those codes. Be sure to maintain a backup of the Mac on which you use Apple Configurator.

If you lose the Apple Configurator database, your users will retain rights to use the apps already installed on devices, and you can reimport any spreadsheets to install additional apps on devices using unredeemed codes. But if an app is deleted from a device after you lose the database, Apple Configurator will be unable to determine the device’s rights to that app, and you will need to redeem another code in order to reinstall the app.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it answers your question.

~Joe

Reallocate VPP Licences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.