Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you reset an AppleTV3 to factory settings without a remote?

Hi There,

Is there a way to reset an AppleTV to factory settings without a remote?

I know Apple likes to think it doesn't need power or reset switches but this is an instance where I'm hoping there's a way to reset one without a reset hole.

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Recent NVIDIA Cuda update

Posted on May 29, 2014 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2014 7:59 PM

What is the issue with the device?

You can restore it through iTunes by connecting via micro usb to computer. But then you would need a remote to set it up again.

10 replies

May 29, 2014 8:37 PM in response to vazandrew

You are right - how frustrating!

I'm on holiday but didn't bring the remote (was just planinig on using my phone). Somehow the AppleTV was able to activate via my iPhone but I can't remotely enter any network details.

I can connect the AppleTV via ethernet (thunderbolt ethernet sharing to USB ethernet, it barely reaches - don't ask!) and control it via my phone but when it's connected via ethernet, you can't setup wifi - I'm caught in an infinite loop of frustration.

Is there any way to setup an AppleTV without a remote?

May 29, 2014 10:23 PM in response to cmscss

The full statement reads

This feature configures only your Wi-Fi network, iTunes Store account, and region/language settings. It cannot:

• Set up multiple Wi-Fi networks or install network configuration profiles.
  • Transfer account information for third-party services (for example, Netflix, YouTube, or Hulu Plus).
  • Enable iTunes Match, Home Sharing, an iCloud account for iCloud Photos, or the Remote app for iOS.

So ultimately you will still need a physical remote to set up the IOS remote app

Nov 25, 2014 6:47 PM in response to cmscss

Some times people want to restore iPhone to factory settings out of various reasons. It's very easy:

Tutorial 1: Reset to Factory Settings from iPhone Directly

Setting - General - Reset

Tutorial 2: Reset to Factory Settings from iTunes

Launch iTunes and connect iPhone with the computer, and then choose "Restore iPhone"

If you restore iPhone to factory settings, all data will be wiped.I think some people want to recover useful data. iPhone Data Recovery can help you. And it's very easy to operate. That's why I recommend to my friends.

Step 1. Install iPhone Data Recovery on the computer and connect iPhone with a cable

Step 2. Choose "Recover from iOS Device", "Recover Deleted contacts from iTunes" or "Restore Contacts from iCloud"

Step 3. Start to scan iPhone

Step 4. Preview and recover data on iPhone

Can you reset an AppleTV3 to factory settings without a remote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.