Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound problems caused by Sims 3

I don't know if this is the right place for this question but I just thought I'd give it a go because EA don't seem to care about their customers at all. My Sims 3 game has caused a bug where it seems to turn off the sound on my Mac. The volume icon shows that the sound is on but you can't hear anything when you toggle it up or down with the keyboard keys. It happens when I boot the game, in which there's no sound.. and then when I've quit, the sound problem continues for my whole computer until I restart. I only reinstalled the Sims a week ago (because of other in-game bugs - sigh).

I am plugged into some speakers but the same thing happens if I'm not. The game itself is patched to the latest version.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011)

Posted on May 30, 2014 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2014 8:15 AM

Try these one at a time, see if it is any help:

PRAM reset

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  5. Release the keys.

SMC reset

1. Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
  2. Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
  3. Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
  4. Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.

Repair Permissions

Applications folder/Utilities folder (or from FINDER click GO in the menu bar and select Utilities or from Finder SHIFT+COMMAND+U) Disk Utility, select (highlight) your volume from the left sidebar (default name Macintosh HD) Click repair permissions.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2014 8:15 AM in response to vitrine

Try these one at a time, see if it is any help:

PRAM reset

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  5. Release the keys.

SMC reset

1. Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
  2. Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
  3. Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
  4. Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.

Repair Permissions

Applications folder/Utilities folder (or from FINDER click GO in the menu bar and select Utilities or from Finder SHIFT+COMMAND+U) Disk Utility, select (highlight) your volume from the left sidebar (default name Macintosh HD) Click repair permissions.

Sound problems caused by Sims 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.