Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV not connecting to wifi router - error 3905 - Help!

I have been having intermittent connection issues with my Apple TV since the recent software update, either my wifi router is not recognised or programs/films cut off when the network connection is lost. I was getting 3906 as the error code. I have looked in this forum for answers and I took the advice of one user which was to change the router security from WEP to WPA-2. For them it seemed to fix the problem, however, it has made things worse and I cannot connect to my Apple TV at all now! I get an error message of 3905. I have tried all the usual things suggested, and no, it is not a network problem because all my other devices work perfectly. I have tried ignoring my network, restarting, doing another software upgrade, all to no avail....

I cannot see any other discussions about this error specifically so I thought I would start one. I have to say that I am not the only person I know who has been having problems with their Apple TV recently and I am very disappointed about the radio silence from Apple about it.

If anyone has any suggestions please do post. Btw, I am a computer illiterate so when offering suggestions please talk in basic terms and be specific about any steps I would need to take. I don't understand a lot of the stuff posted here! Thanks.

iBook, iOS 5

Posted on May 30, 2014 6:40 AM

5 replies

May 30, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks Rudegar - yes I have looked at all of these discussions. I have a couple more things to try, though I have found out that my Apple TV has a serial number which has been recognised to have problems:

http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/15/apple-says-small-number-of-apple-tvs-have-wifi-iss ues-opens-replacement-program/#more-268457

The problem I have now is that it is just over (by days) the 2 year free of charge cut off date for replacement. Seems a bit strange that I should start having problems just after I have had it 2 years and just after the free replacement expiry....

May 30, 2014 9:32 AM in response to debsy999

OK - so I have fixed it after a LOT of tearing my hair out!

I found out that my Apple TV was definitely working when connected to an ethernet cable - so the issue seemed to definitely be with the encryption. After looking at a number of posts I followed the advice of a couple of people as follows:

1) I logged into my router (in my case a BT home hub manager)

2) Went into Settings/Wireless/Security

3) I selected 'No encryption used' so I no longer had any security on my home network

4) I turned on my Apple TV and in Settings/General/Network I selected my network router

5) Bingo! I was connected wirelessly!

6) I then went back into my hub manager and after selecting Settings/Wireless/Security again, I turned on my encryption and entered my usual password

7) The Apple TV network connection then dropped so I went back into Settings/General/Network, reselected my network router and typed in my password (which it wouldn't accept before)

8) Lo and Behold! I am now connected!

9) To be on the safe side I turned my Apple TV off and on again, and it still works.

I hope these simple step by step instructions help anyone else struggling with this problem.

Jun 30, 2014 12:25 PM in response to debsy999

An update - After fixing my problem and not turning my Apple TV on for a week the problem returned. I ended up going to Apple Care and even though my Apple TV was just over 2 years old they replaced it for me at no cost. Basically my Apple TV was confirmed as one of those which had an identified issue with connecting to wifi. A big thank you to Apple for honouring the recall. I now have a shiny new Apple TV!

Apr 30, 2016 6:25 AM in response to debsy999

You wouldn't believe it. I have worked it out!!

I had read that it was recommended that the IPv6 be turned off but you can't do that in the WiFi TCP/IP settings now. The only options are to change them to "automatically", "manually" or "link-local only".

So then I thought I'd check my router settings through the Airport Utility. I discovered that two of my three Airport Express devices had Enable Access Control checked. When I went in there, the Timed Access Control had an "Unknown" device changed to "No Access". Once I turned off the Enable Access Control the Apple TV started working over the WiFi again without issue.

This must be a glitch or something because I can guarantee I hadn't changed any Access Control for any devices.

Very very pleased with myself!!

Apple TV not connecting to wifi router - error 3905 - Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.