Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4.11 - How to Update External .dmg Back-up?

My G5 iMac, running 10.4.11, had a failed motherboard and I could not find a relacement, so the computer repair store backed-up my hard drive onto a new external HD that I supplied. This back-up is in the form of a .dmg file (Macintosh HD.dmg) and the drive does not appear to be partitioned. From memory, there were some bad areas of the iMac's hard drive which precluded using any other method (whatever that might have been).

I would like to update this external back-up as it is now a few months old (I sourced a used motherboard, but the machine is clearly on borrowed time).

How do I go about this? Do I just drag-and-drop MacintoshHD into the external drive via Disk Utility?

iMac G5

Posted on May 30, 2014 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2014 4:25 PM

A dmg is a disk image. You cannot update a disk image, only create a new one.

7 replies

Jun 4, 2014 8:20 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the software recommendations.

How do I "install" the disk image? I have a disk image on the external hard drive, which is now out-of-date. I just need to make an up-to-date back up of the iMac as it currently is - to reflect the changes between now and the date the disk image was made - before it dies again.

10.4.11 - How to Update External .dmg Back-up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.