Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text file size 3kb, but alias is 2.4 mb. What's happening?

I have a text file that is very small (3kb) but the alias I create is 2.4 mb. I have 60 GB free on a 250GB HD.

Susan

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 30, 2014 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2014 2:05 PM

Susan,

that’s not unusual for aliases created through Finder. If you’re concerned about the amount of space that the Finder alias uses, one alternative would be to create a symbolic link alias instead via the command line in a Terminal window. For example, to create a symbolic link alias on your Desktop for a text file in the Documents folder, you could run the following command in Terminal:

ln -s ~/Documents/sample.txt ~/Desktop/"sample.txt alias"

The symbolic link alias only uses enough space to hold the name of the file being pointed to.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2014 2:05 PM in response to sjlarson650

Susan,

that’s not unusual for aliases created through Finder. If you’re concerned about the amount of space that the Finder alias uses, one alternative would be to create a symbolic link alias instead via the command line in a Terminal window. For example, to create a symbolic link alias on your Desktop for a text file in the Documents folder, you could run the following command in Terminal:

ln -s ~/Documents/sample.txt ~/Desktop/"sample.txt alias"

The symbolic link alias only uses enough space to hold the name of the file being pointed to.

Text file size 3kb, but alias is 2.4 mb. What's happening?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.