Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If my iPad is too old to upgrade to the latest iOS, how can I use old apps?

I think I have upgrading the system software on my original iPad as much as I can, but some of my apps are now grayed out. I can no longer get to iBooks, Kindle books, or Nook books that I have purchased and saved.

What can I do to get to the older versions of those apps?

Thanks!

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 30, 2014 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 4:51 AM

Hi ..

For iBooks it's not just software but hardware as well > iBooks is not compatible with a first generation iPad > iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks and the iBooks Store

Kindle requires iOS 6.0 or later > Kindle

Same with Nook books.

There are alternatives, but make sure they are iOS 5.1.1 compatible > iBooks Alternatives for iPad - AlternativeTo.net

Unfortunately, the atlernatives are not iCloud compatible.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2014 4:51 AM in response to wandafromglen burnie

Hi ..

For iBooks it's not just software but hardware as well > iBooks is not compatible with a first generation iPad > iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks and the iBooks Store

Kindle requires iOS 6.0 or later > Kindle

Same with Nook books.

There are alternatives, but make sure they are iOS 5.1.1 compatible > iBooks Alternatives for iPad - AlternativeTo.net

Unfortunately, the atlernatives are not iCloud compatible.

If my iPad is too old to upgrade to the latest iOS, how can I use old apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.