Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro red pixels

Hi all.

I own a 13-inch, Mid 2012 Macbook Pro (non-retina). Other specs include:

• Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Software: OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

A couple of days ago, I started noticing red pixels in dark areas of my screen. At first, this was minor; very few pixels and it seemed to only happen when my Mac's fan was on. Fast forward a few days and now it's getting increasingly worse by the hour it seems. The number of pixels has multiplied, there are varying colors, and it is noticeable from the second my display wakes up. The pixels move and flicker, and if I put my cursor over a pixel directly, the cursor seems to cover it. I can also take screen shots of the areas affected and the pixels show up in said picture. I have no way to connect to an external display without purchasing the correct accessories, so I haven't been able to test that.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Does anyone have any answers for me? I've tried SMC resets, purchasing a cooling pad, etc...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 30, 2014 8:38 PM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2014 1:36 PM in response to griff w

I have tried all of these and nothing helps. I have also tested if the pixels show up on external displays and sure enough, they do. It's been three months since I posted this question and it's only gotten worse from there.

Basically at this point I really want to know if I just need to replace my Mac. If it is indeed a graphics card issue, replacing the logicboard is going to be $200 less than a brand new computer.

Macbook Pro red pixels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.