Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24P HDMI output stutters every 41 seconds

Hi all,

I cannot find a solution anywhere and come to think that OS X doesn't support this at all.

When I play any HD video, be it from an iTunes purchase or other file,

that is encoded in 24p or more precisely: 23.976 frames per second (industry standard if I understand correctly)

and set OS X output to the external HDMI Display to 24hz,

the Video will stutter for about one frame every 41 seconds.

(Best to be seen in the scrolling credits at the end of any movie)

In Windows therefore is the option to output 23hz, which essentially is those 23.976hz.

This seems to be a known issue in OS X since at least 10.6, but I can't find a fix anywhere.

Therefore I assume it is still not supported, and would kindly ask the developers of OS X to do so.

I planned to buy a new Mac, but it seems all Macs I tried (with OS X), have this problem, so I would have to look elsewhere?

With Windows running on a Mac its supposed to be possible, because the mentioned refresh rate setting is available.

But I have a whole Mac environment built up and would rather not need to move away from it, because of something this easy to fix.

And to switch the refresh rate to 60hz is not a good option as the video is unnecessarily converted there.

Thank you for sharing any experiences on this matter.

Posted on May 31, 2014 12:30 PM

There are no replies.

24P HDMI output stutters every 41 seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.