Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import mp3 into itunes

I just installed iTunes, and I have a bunch of mp3 files that play in Windows Media Player but they will not play in iTunes. I cannot import them, nor can I add them to a playlist. I have even used mp3tag ro remove the tags from the files - but that hasnt worked.

When I drag and drop the files (or select File > Add file to library) absolutely nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This should be very simple, but iTunes is making it very dificult

Windows 8

Posted on May 31, 2014 12:41 PM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 7:09 PM in response to NJO89

I also have the same issue. I have a windows 8.1. I know the files are mp3s, I know they have worked in the past. They were originally put onto an old computer from cds and then onto an external hard-drive that saves all my music. I have checked they are not read-only. They will not play if I right-click on the files directly. I know they have not imported into iTunes under "various" or "unknown." If I am in iTunes and click "add file," nothing happens. Nothing at all. They worked when I put them on my ancient rotary ipod (80GB!), but the new shiny (What was the point of buying it now?) ipod looks as if it will remain empty. If there is any way at all...... With new technology, I no longer have a cd drive so I cannot easily re-upload cds and that would take forever anyway.

Sep 14, 2014 9:04 PM in response to NJO89

I had this same problem. My iTunes was set to always run in windows as Administrator. I right-clicked on the iTunes shortcut, and selected properties. From there, in the compatibility tab, I unchecked the box to "run as administrator", then clicked apply and OK. iTunes imported the files fine when not running as administrator. Weird. I'm on Win 7 64-bit

Cannot import mp3 into itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.