Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slowness with Time Capsule

Ive had an Apple TV for about 1.5 years. I have been using an Airport Extreme as my home router with Comcast High Speed interet, and they have worked great together.. The speed was flawless.. and neve had to wait more than 10 seconds to start playing a movie.

I just replaced my AE with a 2GB Time Capsule because my back up drive had broken. Ever since my internet speed on Apple TV has gone to crap. I use Itunes Radio alot, and now I can't get it to continuously stream. I also use iTunes Match, and it constantly stops and starts while playing music. As for movies, forget it... It takes forever to get it started, and when it does, it buffers every 3-5 minutes during the movie...

At first I thought it was because I was backing up all the time, so I turned off Auto-backup on my MacBook Pro. No change..

Is the Time Capsule not as fast as an Airport Extreme? I haven't changed anything on my ATV3... or my modem. I leterally switched out the AE for the TC.. got my HD backed up.. and that's it..

Regular interent seems fine (on my computer and ipad).. but Apple TV gets stuck all the time..

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 31, 2014 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 9:59 AM

Hi ejs71,

The Airport Extreme and Time Capsule have the same Wi-Fi specifications, see the first link for more details. Also, take a look at the second article which has some great tips that may resolve the issue.

Apple - Wi-Fi - Compare Wi-Fi base stations

http://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4546

Apple TV unexpectedly disconnects from the Wi-Fi network or signal strength is weak or fluctuates

1. Check for any obstructions and adjust the location of your router or Apple TV; also check for sources ofpotential interference.
  2. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware.

For an AirPort Base Station, refer to this article for information about firmware updates. For third-party Wi-Fi routers, check the manufacturer's website for details on updating your firmware.

If after attempting the above steps, your Apple TV is still unable to connect to your Wi-Fi network:

1. Restart your Apple TV: Choose Settings > General > Restart.
  2. If you can connect to the Internet using an Ethernet connection, verify that your Apple TV is using the latest software by choosing Settings > General > Software Update. If your Apple TV can be updated, install the update and test again.

Good luck!

-Jason

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2014 9:59 AM in response to ejs71

Hi ejs71,

The Airport Extreme and Time Capsule have the same Wi-Fi specifications, see the first link for more details. Also, take a look at the second article which has some great tips that may resolve the issue.

Apple - Wi-Fi - Compare Wi-Fi base stations

http://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4546

Apple TV unexpectedly disconnects from the Wi-Fi network or signal strength is weak or fluctuates

1. Check for any obstructions and adjust the location of your router or Apple TV; also check for sources ofpotential interference.
  2. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware.

For an AirPort Base Station, refer to this article for information about firmware updates. For third-party Wi-Fi routers, check the manufacturer's website for details on updating your firmware.

If after attempting the above steps, your Apple TV is still unable to connect to your Wi-Fi network:

1. Restart your Apple TV: Choose Settings > General > Restart.
  2. If you can connect to the Internet using an Ethernet connection, verify that your Apple TV is using the latest software by choosing Settings > General > Software Update. If your Apple TV can be updated, install the update and test again.

Good luck!

-Jason

Slowness with Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.