Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 5 makes calls but can't hear the person and they can't hear me

Recently my Verizon iPhone 5 will make calls but I cannot hear the other person and they cannot hear me. I have restored the phone as new through iTunes and reseated the SIM card, and the problem still persists. I have tried turning on speakerphone and still nothing. I have tested the earpiece and microphone and they both work for FaceTime audio calls and listening to voicemails. The phone is currently out of warranty, and am in need of help! Everything else works fine on the phone, such as data use and text messaging. Thank you for your help.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 31, 2014 6:03 PM

11 replies

Jul 28, 2014 5:17 AM in response to awagner1

I'm having this problem as well. It began a few days ago, as far as I know, with my last working phone call on July 21, 2014 while on vacation in California (I live in Illinois). I've kept my phone on do not disturb mode for almost all of the last two weeks while on this trip. I've taken loads of pictures and videos. I'm a verizon customer on a family plan with a handful of other people. My keyboard also freezes quite often, sometimes for a second or two, sometimes for 15 or. 20. Also, during my calls my phone displays it is using 1x. Don't know if that's normal, or if any of this extra info helps, but I just figured I would mention the things I've done with my phone recently that are out of the norm.

Jan 8, 2015 4:40 AM in response to awagner1

I see this thread was posted nearly a year ago, but it is the only thread that addresses my same issue. My iPhone 5 can recieve and make calls but once connected I can't hear the caller and thet can't hear me. I've tested it out thoroughly, it's not connected to a Bluetooth device, the microphone works fine, the speakers work fine, the volume is turned up, it simply acts as though the phone has taken the call on both sides but silance. It makes no difference if I attempt to use the speaker phone. Looking at this thread there appears to be no solution, did Apple send a solution to any of you? Was your issue resolved?

IPhone 5 makes calls but can't hear the person and they can't hear me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.