Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you trim videos in Photo Booth on the OS X Mavericks?

I recently updated to the new OS X Mavericks. I don't know how to trim videos on Photo Booth though. Before I updated, there was a "trim" button on the bottom right side of the video that was playing, but I'm not sure where it is now. Is it even possible to trim videos anymore? Thank you

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on May 31, 2014 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2014 9:41 PM

After you take your video and it appears on that little strip at the bottom, click and drag the video you want to trim onto your desktop. Then right click and choose Open With > Quicktime Player.app (It should be default.)

Then when it's open, press Command-T on your keyboard or go to the Edit menu and click Trim...

Then drag the little yellow handles to where you want to trim it to and hit the Trim button.

Then press Command-S to save it, or click the little share/export on the player controls to send it to Facebook or whatever you choose.

Hope this helps,

xeni

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2014 9:41 PM in response to zoha246

After you take your video and it appears on that little strip at the bottom, click and drag the video you want to trim onto your desktop. Then right click and choose Open With > Quicktime Player.app (It should be default.)

Then when it's open, press Command-T on your keyboard or go to the Edit menu and click Trim...

Then drag the little yellow handles to where you want to trim it to and hit the Trim button.

Then press Command-S to save it, or click the little share/export on the player controls to send it to Facebook or whatever you choose.

Hope this helps,

xeni

Aug 18, 2014 8:01 PM in response to zoha246

I think there is an alternate way to use Photo Booth to trim videos. While in Photo Booth press Command-T to enter the edit mode. Move the yellow sliders at either or both ends to trim the start and or end of your video. Note that a small yellow trim button is now light. When happy with your editing click the yellow trim button. Then Export the video. This exported video will be permanently trimmed. The original video in Photo Booth remains untrimmed, but only the trimmed version will play. You can however repeat the Command-T step and recover the trimmed footage since Photo Booth never actually throws any footage away.

Feb 18, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Relray

i am SO FRUSTRATED!! i took a video in photo booth. i trimmed it and saved the trimmed version. i uploaded the trimmed version to google drive. on another machine, i downloaded the file. when i play it in Quicktime, it is the correct segment of the video. but when i open it to edit it further in a video editing software program, it appears to be the beginning segment of the video, of the same LENGTH as what i had saved, but not the same actual segment. how is this even POSSIBLE??? i even tried using a video converter to change the file format. when it went from .mov to .mp4, it also gave me a different segment of the video, just like it did when i opened it in the editing software! it's so insane!

How do you trim videos in Photo Booth on the OS X Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.