Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover data from crashed time capsule

My 2012 Time Capsule suddenly doesn't start any more. I went to the Apple Store and they will give me a new one I don't have to pay thanks to the Apple Care Protectionplan.

But I use the Time Capsule (TC) for data storage (It is ment for!)

How can I recover the data without having to open the TC and losing the warranty?

If that isn't possible, what is the best alternative?

Please help!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 4:34 AM

7 replies

Jun 1, 2014 1:50 PM in response to DB2012

But I use the Time Capsule (TC) for data storage (It is ment for!)

How can I recover the data without having to open the TC and losing the warranty?

If that isn't possible, what is the best alternative?

Sadly Apple might say you can store data on it.. but they unlike a true NAS manufacturer have no way to recover files and they do not support access to the TC. Once it is dead that is it.. it is a throw away item as far as they are concerned. And you were always supposed to backup your data although Apple provided no way for you to do that.

You have no choice but to open the TC and pull the hard disk.

But you can do it very neatly. Follow the instructions here.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Particularly use plenty of heat to loosen the glue holding the rubber base mat so you do not tear it.

You can then put it neatly back together with no one the wiser.

Put the disk in a USB holder, that is suitable.. this can be bought fairly cheaply.. $20-30 should get you one.. but be careful if you have a 3TB as the older USB2 only handle 2TB. I recommend people phone a seller like OWC who do Mac stuff and can ship quickly a good solution that is known to work.

Jun 7, 2014 4:53 AM in response to DB2012

Via the Apple Care Protectopn Plan helpdesk I was informed that the Apple Dealer had to repair the Time Capsule. So for the second time to the Apple Dealer. After a wait of 1,5 hours the verdict was: NO WAY - NO REPAIR.

You can get a new one free of charge.

It is impossible to give you the hard disk from the TC without losing the warranty.

All in all I bought a new TC in order to keep the broken down one and will take that one apart to retreive the data.

Apple I don't know what to say about your SERVICE..................!!!

Jun 7, 2014 3:43 PM in response to DB2012

The TC is, whatever Apple might say, a backup location for TM.

Apple treat it as a sealed device.. if it goes bad buy a new one.. if under warranty it is replaced.

When they then say you can store your files on it.. they are not serious. Since they offer no recovery file service.. or even allow you to remove the hard disk.

So the TC is not suitable for anything but Time Machine.. and even then it should be used with another backup like CCC that does bootable clones.

But you can very neatly remove the hard drive.. pull your files.. and wipe the drive and put it back in the TC. And then get it replaced under warranty.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Just use plenty of heat to pull up the rubber mat. It will tear easily cold, but with the base hotter than you can touch, using a pair of leather gloves, the rubber is very tough and the glue will let go.. !!

Jun 8, 2014 12:10 AM in response to LaPastenague

It took me about 5 minutes to open the TC and remove the hard disk. I placed the hard disk in mij Mac Pro and it is full accessible! All my data is safe!

Why is APPLE not willing to do the work. Obviously the hard disk was not the problem but the electrical feed was. I think we cann't enough say to other Apple buyers that they buy Apple at their own risk! You cannot count on Apple to help solve technical problems that has been shown over and over again, helas.

Thank for the help!

How to recover data from crashed time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.