Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown error -54 while syncing in itunes.

Hi lately when I try to put some new music on my ipod it says that it can't sync due to unknown error -54 in itunes. I tried to reinstal itunes which didn't work, then I restored my ipod. After I restored my ipod I put in some music which have been syncing well in the past and I got it again. I even connected an older ipod I had and it still said the same thing. I read that this error means a blocked file but I don't know how to unblock or even find blocked files as I own a PC and not a Mac. Can someone please tell me in details how to find blocked files and how to unblock them on a PC? If it hellps I have Windows 8 and my devices are Ipod touch 5 and 3.

iPod touch, Windows 8

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 2:57 PM

Im having the same problem. Please Help

8 replies

Jun 14, 2014 3:37 AM in response to Kati999

I have been fighting the exact same problem since iTunes 11.2.2.3 was installed. I would get the error when syncing both my iPad and my iPhone. After researching the issue it seemed to be related to "Blocked" files being synced. The files in question were without exception .mp3 and .jpg files that people had given me. I found I could right click on the file, check the properties and there was an Unblock button that would clear the problem for that file. Unfortunately, my iTunes library was littered with this type of file and there was no way to go through one file at a time. This was also the case with a folder of Photos I had synced to my iPad. There were many references online to a program called “Streams.exe”, that was supposed to fix blocked files, but repeated attempts failed to unblock my files. After many hours of reading I did find a solution. I created a .zip file of the folder of .jpg files I was syncing on my iPad. I deleted the original folder and replaced it with the contents of the zip file. The end result was I had the same files but none of them had the Block. I repeated this process in my iTunes music folder with the same result. It was a time consuming process, given I had over 6,000 files in my library. If you have more than they I feel sorry for you. At least I can sync both devices without the error message now. Since then I just check the files before I add them to iTunes and the problem has not reappeared. Hope this helps!

Unknown error -54 while syncing in itunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.